Chapter 7: The Drax

Start from the beginning

     It seemed impossible that the Sidhe in all their variety and number could come from a single world and humans, which also called Earth home, would know nothing of them.  At least the dragons existed in fairy tales, which were often spun out of mythology and contained a grain of truth here and there.  Yet, as far as she could remember, there was no mention of the Sidhe.

     As if sensing Vaughn’s confusion, Crux went on.

  “I see my words have caused you some consideration, colonel.  My apologies if I’ve unduly troubled you.  Perhaps a more in depth explanation will shed some light on this heretofore unknown history and satisfy your curiosity and astonishment.”

     Crux paused and turned to recoil himself back around the stone, settling his great head down on his front talons to bring his eyes to bear on Vaughn.

  “Perhaps you can take your ease amongst your comrades, Var Ixim, while I fill Colonel Vaughn in on parts of our common history.  This may take some time.”

     Thoroughly mystified himself by the connection between his people and humanity, Ixim hesitated, torn between wanting to know the truth and the need to obey one of the ancient masters of his race.  Unfortunately for his curiosity, his duty won the tug-of-war.

  “Of course, master.  I will be waiting in the flight chamber for your summons.”  He said with a deep bow of respect.  He then turned and, with a final nod to Vaughn, stepped back the way they had come in.

     That left the stunned human alone with the bemused dragon.  It didn’t take Crux long to fill the uncomfortable silence with his rumbling voice.

  “To begin with, let me tell you where I get my information.  You see, I haven’t directly met a human but know of your people from the Evideen master that preceded me, Grix of the Eighth Order.  While entrusting the bulk of our history to databases, much as the Sidhe do, there were certain items of sensitivity that the Eldar Council, the venerable leaders of our entire race, felt were best kept in the hands of the lore masters, members of the Evideen Order.  I am the ninth in the line of lore masters, stretching back to our days on your lovely green planet, and so carry with me that sensitive knowledge; knowledge that tells of our time spent on the world that spawned us.”

     Crux settled more closely around the heated stone before continuing.

  “Most of what I’m about to tell you has long faded from the memories of creatures with life spans far shorter than the lore masters of the Drax, including Humanity, and the races of the Sidhe.  Even their most ancient texts held sacred by the druidic orders of the Circle don’t reveal the name of their ancient home and place of origin so they too, like your people, are unaware of the ancient connection between you.  But the lore masters of the Drax, possessing life spans numbering in the thousands of years, do remember.  Oh yes, we remember well our time spent on Earth.  And it is some of our most cherished of memories.”

     The big dragon leaned forward, eyes intent.

  “For it was a time of freedom, from oppression and suspicion, when we were rulers and not followers.  The races of the Sidhe did strive against us in combat and, after we defeated them, they paid us tribute so we would not destroy them.”

  “You, . . fought against the Sidhe?”  Vaughn asked, eyes wide.

     Crux nodded.

  “They were a powerful people back then, though divided.”

  “The Senisar and the Alisar.”

  “Ah, you’ve been doing a little studying of your own.  Good, good.  Yes, the Sidhe were divided into two separate and distinct camps along lines of philosophy and belief.  But more importantly, they divided themselves by what they preferred: the dark or the light.  The races of the Alisar, the Juresil and the Halinor chose the light, the Teserin the dark.  And it was by these labels your people named them.  But that wasn’t for many years after.  Before I muddle the story too much with my own maudlin meanderings, however, let me go back to the very beginning, to the birth of the Sidhe, the dragons and all life on your world.”