“As a ship’s AI, we often stand alone, separated from our fellow silicate intelligences by time and distance.  So I understand what it’s like to be the only one, as you now are.  And, upon meeting you, a bright, intelligent being so close to my own self, I vowed I wouldn’t let you be alone in this place, as long as I have power to prevent it.”

     Vaughn felt her eyebrow rise in curious amazement as she pondered the AI’s bold promise.  If he’d been flesh and blood, she would’ve laughed in his face for making such a comment, regardless of whether they were in a relationship or not.  No one man had power enough to keep that kind of promise.

     A Sidhe AI now, that was a different matter, especially one seemingly so connected and powerful as Cienisar.  If any being could actually fulfill that sort of promise, it would be Cienisar.  A declaration like the one he just made could stand as a statement of alignment or fealty.  And in an alien world like the fantastic universe of the Sidhe, she could use every ally she could find.

  “Thank you, Cienisar.”  She chose to go the simple route with her reply.  “That means a lot to me.”

  “Not at all, Colonel.  If you need anything, anything at all, you just send word through the AI network and I’ll do my best to make it happen.”

  “I’ll remember that.”

  “Good.  Now, I have to bridge to the Kalis Sector; big trade meetings, apparently.  You take care in the meantime, okay?  And I’ll talk to you soon.”

  “Thanks, Cienisar, I will.”  Then the lattice went dark and the Sidhe AI was gone, leaving a thoughtful Vaughn in its wake.

     She didn’t have long to ponder the AI’s visit, however.  Not five minutes after the lattice went dark, a soft peep at the door announced she had a second visitor.  Again her voice rose against the growing fatigue that once again threatened to pull her into unconsciousness.

  “Yes?”

  “It’s Brin.”  A voice said from beyond the door.  Hmmm, a member of her evaluation team, the gray skinned Sidhe female that took her through her paces in the armory simulations.  What could she want?

  “If I could have a moment, please?”

  “Of course.  Open.”  The second phrase, a simple command, was enough to trigger the intelligent door’s locking mechanism and the metal panel slid soundlessly aside to reveal the exotic figure of the gray skinned weapon master.

     Vaughn carefully climbed to her feet, steeling herself against the fatigue trembles plaguing her hands and legs to hide any sign of weakness.

  “Agent Brin.”  She greeted the Sidhe, who stepped just inside the door after it opened.  “What can I do for you?”

     Still dressed in the dull gray tunic, pants and boots she and the evaluation team had worn through Vaughn’s testing, Brin gave Vaughn a tight look before slipping a hand inside her tunic.  When she drew it out again, she held a flattened shape that looked like a large wallet, which Brin immediately handed to Vaughn.

  “Your agent identification and sidearm.”  The dark skinned Sidhe identified the package with an almost formal turn of phrase.  Then, in an almost grudging tone: “It took me nearly ten years to earn mine.”

     Vaughn’s eyes quickly looked up at Brin just as her hand fell on the flattened parcel, no larger than her hand.

  “If I understand the process correctly, Agent Brin, that’s a record for speedy admittance to the Isivir.”  She carefully took the parcel out of Brin’s hand.  “I, myself, have served in the UDF Marine Corps since completing Basic Training and the Academy almost eighteen years ago, before completing the evaluation earlier today.  You’ve got me beat by a good eight already.”