In the present

"We're... Back" Oliver said simply, a look of wonder on his face as the magic slowly disappeared, the air seemingly glowing before going back to normal.

"Aren't we still in the same place?" Esther looked around in confusion, and Mr.drippy shook his head.

"No mun, impossible! I know when a spell worked, and that one worked good and proper!"

"Yeah. This place is... Differant somehow..." Swaine murmered, looking about. Esther's expression softened. "Swaine..."

"We made it back, that's all that matters. Now, isn't there someone we should be helping?" Swaine said calmly, and after a second Oliver nodded. "Yeah, let's go"

They went back into the emperors chamber, and there stood older marcassin. His eyes were still hollow, he was still brokenhearted.

"Pooer lad, shadow of his former self. Come on olly-boy, do the spell!" Mr drippy prompted.

"Give him belief, en't it? It's what his dad would have wanted" he continued. Marcassin gaze sharpened.

"Cease your maddening chatter, fairy! My father died ten years ago, do not claim to know his will!"

"So, ten years on his own eh?" Drippy mused. "There's tragic"

Marcassin seemed to pause, and for one second, his eyes cleared. "Not completely on my own"

"Huh?" Oliver asked, but marcassin had went back to broken again. "Get out, get out!" He repeated.

"So uh, marcassin? We uh, we have something from you. Like, younger you and... And I'd like to give it back? It's your belief and..." Oliver trailed off, looking at his shoes.

"What is the meaning of this?" Marcassin sounded confused.

Oliver opened the locket around his neck and a green light flew out. After a moment, it zipped straight into marcassin, who jerked before stilling. His eyes slowly began to look less foggy.

"I- what is this strange feeling? What is- what have i-" the memories seemed to be flooding back to him. "This whole time? I-"

"It was shadar. He took your belief" Esther interrupted.

"Belief? I- that makes sense, i- I do feel... I want to believe. I want to believe in my people and-
W-was this you? Did you-?"

"It was" swaine spoke up. "I promised"

Marcassin turned to him, a mix of suprise and happiness on his face. "I promised I'd help you if you were in trouble" swaine continued. Marcassin smiled.

"You came back, as I knew you would! Thank you" marcassin sounded wholeheartedly grateful, and it embarrassed swaine.

"Uh, no need to thank me!"

"Your Highness we need your help!" Oliver suddenly exclaimed. "We need you to defeat shadar!"

"You mean to face shadar? That is so reckless. I am a great sage, and still did he manage to..." Marcassin trailed off. "And yet.... You also saved me. Very well, I will assist you. There is simply one problem"

"A problem?" Oliver echoed with dismay, and marcassin nodded.

"Yes. As emperor, I cannot leave my empire. I cannot accompany you. However..."

"Huh?"

"I know someone who can take my place" marcassin smiled,then paused. "Unfortunately, they too are broken hearted. If you do not mind, could you mend their heart?"

"Uh, sure! But now can anyone be a replacement for you?" Oliver asked in disbelief.

"You will see"