「sugar • 04」

[note: giri chocolate is the type of chocolate you give to people you have no romantic feelings for. it is also referred to as obligatory chocolate. on the other hand, honmei chocolate is the type that is presented to people you have romantic feelings for, boyfriends, husband, etc c:]

---

"Sugawara-kun, want one?"

The 18-year-old volleyball player sees one of his female friends holding out a small box. A chocolate box, to be more specific.

"Sure, Yanazawa-san." The boy smiles and accepts one, crunching on the small nut in the middle.

From the corner of his eyes, he looks over to [Name], and she is doing a similar thing.

She has mini cupcakes, though.

Sugawara could barely hide how much he wanted one of her mini cupcakes.

Valentines' day was a huge deal in Karasuno, and most of the girls in his class had long left the class to give out their chocolates. Sugawara sits down in his seat.

I have some people I'll need to get chocolates for, on White Day...
He thinks to himself, jotting down the names of the girls he had received chocolates from.

Whatever thing he did, he had always been the type to stick to the formalities. And this was no exception.

I guess she isn't giving me any, even giri chocolates...

But then again, if it was giri, then it would be confirmation that she didn't like him that way.

Arrrrrrrrgh!

Poor Sugawara groans and walks outside.

I knew it's too much to ask. I knew it perfectly... But I really was hoping for something today...

"Suga-san!"

The boy's silver-gray head jolts up instantly when he hears her voice.

"[Name]-san?"

He was genuinely surprised that she had followed him out to the gymnasium. In her hand, she is holding a small box.

Wait, is she-

"Sugawara-san, here." She holds the box out, looking at the ground. Sugawara blinks a couple times before realization hits him.

"Ehhhhhhhhh?!?!?!"

"Huh?" The girl looks up to see his face, and he could see that the girl he liked was... blushing.

She was blushing!

"Er, I thought you weren't concerned about me, or... something like that." He says fast, rubbing the nape of his neck.

The blush on her face disappears, and she looks disappointed.

"Why would you say something like that?"

Shit, that's such a mean thing to say, I must have hurt her feelings
! The boy panics, and shakes his head.

"Sorry! Thank you, [Name]-san. I'm really very happy you gave me this." He takes the box from her.

"C-Can I see it now?" Sugawara asks, and [Name] nods. There is an unknown excitement in her voice and her [h/c] hair bobs around.

Sugawara slowly lifts the lid and sees a cupcake covered with white frosting. His gaze immediately turns to the girl in front of him.

"W-White chocolate?"
"You once told me that you like white chocolate more than dark chocolate, so I made that especially for you." The girl says awkwardly, her eyes not moving away from the ground.

Mustn't misinterpret this. Mustn't misinterpret this. Mustn't...

"Hey, [Name]-san, I need to know. Is this honmei chocolate or... just giri chocolate?"

Crap, now I've gone ahead and done it
! The boy begins to freak out. Even though he was determined to know, the fact that her eyes went wide made him realize it was a crappy move.

That was, until...

"I-If you want it to be, then yes. Otherwise..."

She doesn't finish her sentence. Instead, she turns around and runs off.

It was pretty obvious what he wanted it to be.

Good Lord, what now? 

---

a/n; oh my good globs of fluff, suga is just too sugary, he's giving me diabetessssssssssss