Chapter Twenty

Começar do início

I waited with my arms crossed as the screen showed an icon of an hourglass turning over and over. Eventually, I got my answer. Nothing was talking.

With a shrug, I continued to the airlock. The door opened and the lights turned on.

'Remember: exiting via the airlock whilst the Eagle is moving is dangerous. Make sure the craft has come to a complete stop before leaving,' said the ship.

'I'm not leaving.' I dived towards the line of cabinets on the nearest wall and opened them up.

An assortment of cutting edge gadgets and tools greeted me, each one held down with a black strap of fabric. I examined the different types of hammer, the various screwdrivers, and the bright green pliers. I even considered pocketing the miniature drill, but it was a blinking red light hidden behind a crack in the panelling that got my full attention.

It was a dim crimson glow that ebbed at a steady pace. If it weren't for the white walls I would've missed it. I grabbed a screwdriver and jammed it into a tiny gap. With both hands on the tool, I pulled back the covering. The metal groaned as I jerked it away.

A giant pill shaped device sat snug within coils of cables and circuit boards. At one end, a red bulb sent out a rhythmic pulse. I put one hand up to grab it, but stopped myself when I saw a familiar icon: a yellow triangle with a black circle inside it, with three orbiting shapes.

I took a step backwards and pulled off my goggles.

I glanced at the doorway and let out a little whine. I moved back to the hole and debated picking up the device. I scooted round to the left, and then to the right, scratching my chin as I got a good look at it. It didn't look to be attached to anything. The wires had held it down during our wild excursion.

In a moment of indulgence, I threw my hand at the device, pulled it from its place and held it in front of my eyes. Something hummed within its metal casing. I rattled it from side to side, but the noise didn't stop.

I tucked the mystery item under my shoulder and swam to the doorway. I moved into the cockpit and stood next to Sam. 'What's this?' I asked, offering him my prize.

Sam's eyes widened. 'Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Get that out of here!' He scurried away from my find and pulled the joysticks with him. The Eagle lurched to the side.

'Why? What is it?' I pulled back my palm and poked the curious object.

'It's an effin' nuke, you idiot!'

I froze. 'What?'

'It's a nuclear bomb! Do you understand? Do you get that? A weapon of mass destruction!' Sam was now driving with one hand, and using the other to reach for me.

'I thought it was like, a battery or something! I mean, I saw the nuclear icon, but... Sam, why do we even have this? The Pangaea is supposed to be a peaceful mission!'

'Just because we're peaceful doesn't mean everything else is going to be.' He gestured for me to hand it over.

I pointed at the metal shell. 'This is a nuclear bomb! I'm holding a nuclear bomb!'

'Yes, Teabags, now give it to me or put it back where you put found it!'

'When were you going to set this off?'

'I wasn't! But if something posed a threat to Earth, then I would.'

'So where's the detonator?'

'Ah, well,' Sam blushed and moved his eyes. 'One of them was in my rucksack.'

I bobbed my head in shock. 'So we could've--?'

'Yeah, we could've, and we still might if you don't put that thing down!'