Chapter 1. The Job

Hee readers! I have another story that hasn't been finished yet, but lately I have been having so much inspiration for this new story. It contains a strong female lead, as all my books will probably do, and some very romantic scenes. This book will also contain violent scenes. It won't be about people feeling bad all the time because they killed somebody. No it's book about survival and strength. 

The girl in this story is crazy and my writing style might be a little odd, but I hope you will enjoy. 

--------------------------------------

The circle of people surrounding me broke as people started to walk to the sides. It was the opportunity that I was waiting for, a hole it the barrier. I put my weight on my behind leg, ready to push myself forward and get myself out of here. But just as I was about to escape, a big shadow appeared closing the hole once again.

'Hello beautiful..' There was a musky roundness to his words and his voice send shivers through my body. Wat the hell, Kate! I mentally slapped myself. Don't get a crush now! FOCUS! 

Man.. I knew I shouldn't have taken this job.

-------------------------------------------------------

2 Days earlier.

Pasta or rice? It was a question that had kept me busy for the last hour. I had been looking up dinner recipes for the past hour, but still hadn't decided what I wanted to eat. I hadn't been feeling very well these past few days, but I couldn't stand anymore soup. I hated soup. Soup isn't food, it's not even a snack or an appetizer. It's more like tea. It's good for you, helps you get better when you are sick, but other than that it sucks completely.

I let out a deep sigh and closed my laptop. This wasn't working. I had absolutely no intention of leaving this house or to actually cook. Who was I kidding. I picked up the phone and ordered a large pepperoni pizza.

About 40 minutes later the pizza arrived and I turned on the tv. Modern family was on! Winning! I always laughed my ass off because of this sitcom. It was the best show on television by far, together with Big Bang Theory than. I was only half way through the episode, when the phone rang. I turned down the volume and picked up.

'Yeah?'

'Kate. What did I tell you about manners when picking up the phone.' I rolled my eyes at his dismissive tone.

'What do you want Robin?' I asked uninterested. Robin was the man that raised me when my parents had died. Normally people would say he is like a father to me or something like that, but not me. We never really had a close relationship. It was more of a work-relationship. Boss-employee. I didn't hate the man, but I definitely didn't love him either.

'I have a new job for you. The person is willing to be triple the amount..' I whistled. Triple the amount, that was quite something. But that also meant that it probably wasn't going to be an easy job.

'What is the catch?' I asked as I took another bite of my pizza.

'The target is a cult leader. He lives in Alaska on some sort of compound, which will make him very hard to reach. You will have to break into the compound, where about 150 people live, without being seen, kill him and then get out.'

A cult leader on a private compound, was he kidding me. We never took jobs that were this risky. It was like he wanted me to commit suicide.

'You are kidding me right?' I said sarcastically. 'You're not actually thinking of taking this job are you? Even if we could get in, pass 150 people without being seen and successfully kill the guy, there is absolutely no way we are going to get out.'

'I know. We won't. That's why I won't be coming. I need you to do it. You are faster than I am and you will be able to sneak past the guards...' O great. Now there were guards as well.

'Robin.. Come on. Listen to yourself. It's an impossible job. Why else would someone pay triple.' I sighed and shook my head. 'There is no way I am doing this.'

------

Why was I doing this again? I looked out of the window and stared at the clouds. Oh right!

After I had said no, the person who wanted the guy dead offered to pay ten times the amount. TEN times.. That was almost a quarter of a million dollars with just one job. Although I didn't really need the money, it had been too tempting of an amount to turn down. The guy paid half of it now and the other half when the job was done. I did warn him though, that if at any moment I thought the job would get too dangerous, I would turn around. I didn't really feel like going to jail or worse. 

The plane would land in a couple of minutes, then I would have to hire a car and drive to a town called White Mountain. Home to mostly native people, but apparently only a couple of miles further was one of the biggest cult compounds in the world, which no one has ever heard off. I kept finding it odd. It didn't bother me that the job wasn't an easy one, but there was something else. Something that just didn't feel right about this. I mostly listen to my instincts, but for some reason my instincts were sending me mixed signals. When the guy gave us a picture of our target my entire body sort of shut down. He was gorgeous. I didn't want to kill someone that handsome. But the man had captured my curiosity. I was intrigued by our client as well as our target, and turning the job down didn't seem like an option anymore.

With a small bang the plane landed on the ground and we hopped another couple of times before we came to a stop. My body released the tension that had been present the entire flight. I hated flying. Humans weren't suppose to be in the sky. We were made for the ground, for nature, and that is where I preferred to be.

About an hour or so later, I got off the plane and rented a car. It was freezing cold in the area, so I had turned the heat on and the inside of the car was practically a sauna. I wasn't someone to easily get cold, but warmth was just one of my favourite things in the world. Fireplaces, heaters, you name it. It are all things that I love.

I looked at the surrounding that I passed. This land was absolutely beautiful. So much pure nature was left and something about it made it feel like home. As if the woods were welcoming me back. A content smile appeared on my face and I continued driving through the night. It should only take a couple of hours.