Chapter 3

Sorry about the wait for this chapter but I think it will be kind of worth it. I will be uploading another chapter soon. (I was going to put them together but I decided against it and am making two separate chapters.) Well, I hope you like Chapter 3 of The In-Betweens: A is for Alice. :D

~Hope

 As I run through the hallways, I can feel him. As if B was there with me, I navigate the halls like a pro. It’s weird. I almost feel like he is there guiding me. Pushing ahead, I let my legs lead me towards him. They seem to have a mind of their own. As I rounded the corner, I knew that I was close. Voices carried far in these hallowed hallways and I heard some voices that I had never heard before. I hoped that one of them was B.

I smile and slow down to a walk. No one is around. No one is here to catch me. Together, B and I can take over any enemy. I smile. Everyone else is probably in their labs, trying to figure out how to create more of my kind. I smirk, how stupid. As I near the door, it’s a room much like mine; my heart begins to beat faster. Here I was, finally going to meet him. My equal. A friend. It would be so nice to have a friend in this hell of a place.

I made it to the door and paused to catch my breath. I take the key card, which is still on my wrist, and slide it across the slot. Like magic, the door opens and I walk in. My breathing has finally returned to normal and I peek through the small window at the door and into the next room, the main room. There were a few doctors, most likely surrounding B. This room is so much like my own. I smile, for I’m happy that they have not given B anything better than me. For, I do not believe that he deserves it. This room did however have a few couches and I wonder why I didn’t have any couches in my old room.

I open the second door and walk in. Immediately, I see the doctors who, now that I am close too, do not look like doctors at all, move away from where they were standing. I pause and my brow wrinkles. I do not say anything, for I realize that I am in the wrong room.

The man in the middle, a semi-short man who seems to be in his mid-twenties stands up. “Who are you?” I giggle. Does he really not know who I am? The man looks at me funny. “I asked you a question. Who are you?” The smile faded off of my face and I did not respond, for I didn’t like this man’s tone. The man looked at his guards and some of them shrugged. Good, they didn’t know who I was or what they were going to do with me either. I tried to contain my giddiness.

“Maybe she would react if we shot her,” one guard suggested. I looked down. Playing dumb was a fun role. The leader looked at me and smiled. He seemed to be pondering the other guard’s suggestion.

“Yes, that’s a good idea. You should shoot her. Shall I get you a gun?” My heart stopped. I didn’t actually think that they would consider this. I took a deep breath in and looked up at the men that were holding guns at my face. “Shoot her,” the leader said and I saw a guard put his finger on the trigger.

“Wait! Please don’t shoot me.” I finally spoke and walked over to the guard. He smirked.

“I knew she’d falter eventually.” I looked at him funny. I could still play dumb. The leader stood up for the first time and pushed aside the guard.

“You are A, right?” It took me a second to realize that he was asking if my name was A. I nodded, for I had figured out that he had something that I wanted and the only way that I was going to get it was if I cooperated. “And what exactly are you doing here?” I held up my wrist and showed him Robert’s access card. “That’s how you got here, but not why.” I had no choice, I needed to speak.

“You have something that I need.” I looked down but I could tell that the man was smiling.

“And what is this that you need?”

“B.” The man laughed.

“Do you even know who I am?” I stared into his eyes. They were a deep and uninviting green, almost a color that makes you want to turn away, and that is exactly what I did.

“I don’t care.” The man feigned being shocked and insulted.

“You don’t care?” He asked me. I smiled.

“Not really. I just want to see B and as of right now, you’re in my way.” The man smiled and turned away from me. He spoke quietly to a guard standing there who, up until now, had been listening into our entire conversation. When the man turned back around, all of the guards walked out. It was just him and me.

“You know what,” he looked at me. “I like you. You speak the truth and you don’t sugar-coat things. That’s new. Most people don’t speak what’s on their mind. They are always trying to impress others and you never know who is real and who’s not.” I just stared at him. Sure, I didn’t know what sugar-coating meant and I was sure that he realized that I wasn’t truly a real human, but this man whom I had just met was talking to me like I was a real human being. I wanted to hug and kiss him, and jump for joy, but I didn’t do that because I still needed something.

The man looked at me and then looked down at my wrist. “Where did you get that?” He asked, motioning to the key card. “You didn’t steal it did you?” I shook my head quickly. “Then where did you get it?” I had to lie, so I smiled a wide grin that stretched ear to ear.

“One of the security guards dropped it in my room and I found it.” The man didn’t smile this time and I felt my own smile faltering.

“You found it?” I nodded my head violently, hoping that he would believe me.

“Well A, I don’t believe that you could cause too much trouble, so I’m going to grant you your wish. I will put you in a room beside B.  It will have a window in it so you can see each other, but that is all. You will not be permitted to talk or interact in anyway.” This was not what I had been expecting. I thought that I was just going to go see him, but to live beside him? I wanted to hug the man.

“Oh thank you. Thank you so much Mr….,” I trailed off, for I did not know his name.

“Bitz. You can just call me Bitz. I’ll send an escort in here that will take you to your new room.” I smiled and nodded vigorously, for I couldn’t wait.

“Hold on one second,” I said, stopping him before he left. “Will Cindy still be my nurse?” I asked this because I had grown close to her over the past few months.

“That can be arranged, as long as you don’t kill any more people.” I froze. “It’s okay. Most people didn’t like Robert. He was just dead weight. Thanks for getting rid of him.” My lip curled up and he must have seen that I was disgusted for he laughed. “It’s okay. I was kidding. But really, you shouldn’t have killed him. Just because you have killing in your blood doesn’t mean that you have to use it.” I smiled again and he bid me a farewell. I was shocked that he knew that I had killed Robert, yet he was still granting me my wish. Why on earth would he do that? I watched Bitz leave and I couldn’t help but be happy. I was going to get to see B. Sure, I couldn’t talk to him, but I could still see him and that was all that I needed. I smiled and even though I was happy, I couldn’t fight the feeling that I was getting what I wanted so I wouldn’t harm anyone else.

So....what did you think??? Do you like it??? What do you think is going to happen next?? PLEASE DO NOT BE A SILENT READER! Tell me what you think about it. What needs changed. What you liked. What you didn't like. Your opinions mean the WORLD to me...so speak your mind and tell me what you think and stay tuned for the next chapter of The In-Betweens: A is for Alice. Thanks for reading!!! :D