Chapter 2

Hey!!! If you are at this page I am utterly in love with you because that means that you liked the beginning of my story and that you want to read on. YAY! So, this is going to be a slightly longer chapter and more intense...I hope. :) I also hope that you get sucked in and like this as much as you liked the first chapter. If you voted, fanned, commented, or added this story to your library because of the first chapter I love you. If you didn't, just wait until you read THIS chapter! I hope that you enjoy chapter 2 and I hope that you will want me to continue writing this. (Mainly because I love this so far and I want to keep writing it. hehe.) Well, enjoy!

~WiltingHope (Once again, if you haven't already, you should totally check out my other story, Living Past Curfew!)

The In-Betweens: A is for Alice

Chapter2

Crying isn’t something that comes naturally to me. Being scared isn’t in my blood; at least not since I’ve been genetically repaired. When my tears stop flowing, I feel myself being pulled out of my air lock compartment. My mind is fuzzy and I can’t think straight. I am led over to the table on which B lies. I reach out to touch him but my hand is slapped away by a scientist who, after touching me, goes immediately to wash his hands as if he could catch a fatal disease from out interaction.

I force myself to look away from the scientist and I turn back to B. He looks peaceful, his brown hair spiked up in all directions. I wonder what color is eyes are, but I already know. Black. Like mine, they will be worry-some oceans, full of dread and despair in which one can get lost. As least that’s what Cindy has told me. She said that I used to have hazel eyes but now they are black. When I asked her why they changed, she looked away and became lost in sterilizing everything in my room. I figured that it was from being genetically repaired though I still don’t know.

If Cindy wouldn’t had told me what color my eyes were, I would never have known. I have never seen myself in a mirror, the scientists won’t allow it, and my hair is cut short so I can not even see what color it is. It’s probably black. These scientists don’t seem to like color. I see white, I wear blue, and everything about me, except for my skin, is black.

My skin is white. White like the walls in my room, it is almost translucent and practically see-through. My veins poke out at odd angles and I am guessing that I look thin, due to the fact that they only serve me much twice a day. One can not survive on mush alone.

My mind wanders back to B and I see him slightly stir. Either he’s dreaming, or he is waking up. I want to jump for joy and shout either way, but looking at the doctors and scientists that surround me, I think better of it. They don’t know what it’s like to know that you are the only one of your kind. They don’t know what it’s like to be utterly alone.

I never knew that it was possible to “create” more of my kind until now. Seeing B move made me want to laugh and cry all at the same time. I wanted to rejoice because I was no longer alone, but I wanted to cry because another human’s life was gone and in its place was a monster.

I watch B, his eyelids flickering. He’s obviously dreaming. I could watch him sleep forever but I only get a little while until the scientists surround him and I get pulled away. The last thing that I see before I am shoved back in my air-lock compartment is B opening his eyes. I wish that I could hold onto that image forever and ever.

“They aren’t black,” I say to Cindy once I am back in my room. “His eyes aren’t black. They’re blue, like water.” I say in amazement and for the first time in my genetically repaired life, I catch a glimpse of how much the truth can hurt. “I thought that he would be like me. I thought that I wasn’t going to be alone.” I didn’t know why I was spilling my guts to Cindy; I just knew that I had to. Cindy just shakes her head.