I swallowed, hating to admit it, but knowing she was right. “I know.”

“Good.” Jules looked pleased with herself. “Then let’s head back.”

We stopped off at a small bakery to pick up some bagels for their breakfast.

I remembered to duck into a small café and buy a large coffee.

We walked back in relative quiet. I was brooding over Jules’ words and she left me to it, obviously smug that her method had worked.

Tony grinned at me as I handed over the coffee. “You’re a gem, Miss Delilah.”

“Anytime.” I returned his smile and followed Jules back to the trailer.

The others were awake, albeit sleepy-eyed and bed-headed.

Jules put the box down on the kitchen table and all she had to say was: “Bagels” and they swarmed around.

I laughed, leaning back against the wall and observing.

Noticing me, Luke held the bagel between his teeth and used both hands to pull me onto his lip.

I allowed myself to revel in everyone’s lighthearted banter, a smile slipping over my lips.

Then Stella said something that caught my attention.

“Only two more concerts.” She said, sadly. “Then we’re all going our separate ways.”

I froze in realisation, Luke’s legs tensing underneath me.

I only had two days left with these amazing friends I called family.

I didn’t want this tour to end.

“It’s not goodbye forever.” Calum interjected, taking Em’s hand and stroking the back of it with his thumb. “Just for a little while.”

“Exactly.” Michael comforted Stella. “After this tour, we’re not going to do anything for a while. Just relax back at home here in Sydney.”

“But I’m going back to Melbourne.” Em said, slowly.

Calum took his face between his hands and locked their gazes. “We’ll make it work, I promise.”

Ash and Jules had leaned their heads together and were whispering to each other.

Stella and Mike were locked in an embrace.

I shifted so Luke could see my profile and turned my head to face him.

“What are we gonna do, Luke?” I asked, softly.

He gently pulled a curl behind my ear. “We’ll manage. You’re my girl, remember?”

Maybe I just had to be content with that. We were both artists, both living in different places, both in love with each other.

“We’ll manage.” I repeated, pressing my forehead against his.

*

I was restless again.

The boys were rehearsing and Jules, Em and Stella were watching.

But I couldn’t.

I told Jules I was going to see Ollie and she’d pursed her lips at me, but let it go.

I wandered over to the backup band trailer and announced myself loudly.

Only Ollie was there, I noticed, as he put down his iPad and grinned goofily at me.

“Howdy, doll.” He said.

“Howdy, partner.” I returned, sitting down on the couch.

“Escaping from Mr. Overprotective again?”

“No.” I frowned at him. “Just bored with watching them rehearse.”

Ollie squinted at me. “You love watching them rehearse.”

“Well today I don’t.” I got to my feet. “If you’re gonna do this I’ll just leave.”

“No, wait, don’t.” Ollie looked at me apologetically. “I’m sorry.”

“Ok.” I didn’t sit back down, choosing instead to wander the bus, picking up items and inspecting them before replacing them and moving on.

A few minutes of this and Ollie was frustrated.

“Now I’m bored.” He said, huffily.

I turned to him with a wink. “Payback’s a bitch.”

Now Ollie laughed. “All right, all right. Well played, doll.”

“How many times have I told you not to call me doll!” I complained. “I don’t like that nickname, Ol.”

“You love it secretly.” Ollie stepped closer to me, closer until we were very nearly touching.

I swallowed, suddenly nervous. “Ollie, I don’t…”

“What do you want from me, Delilah?” Ollie breathed. “Tell me.”

“I’m with Luke.” I put my hands against his chest and pushed.

But he didn’t move.

In fact, he did the opposite, leaning closer and shoving his lips against mine in a brutal, hungry kiss.

I was frozen, too shocked to pull away or react.

Suddenly, I heard the door burst open and Ollie leaped away from me.

I heard a gasp of shock and whipped my head to face the open doorway.

Jules was standing there with her hand over her mouth, watching me in absolute horror and disgust.

Standing in front of her was Luke. Luke with one hand on the doorknob and one foot forward, ready to rush in and take me away. Luke with such a blank, disbelieving look on his face. Luke with utter pain in his beautiful blue eyes.

Pain that made my heart break.

“Luke.” I stepped towards him, arms outstretched, desperate to explain.

But he stepped away from me.

“I trusted you.” He whispered.

And then he was gone, leaving only a bitter, echoing silence in the bus.