Chapter 9 - Working It Out/Asking For a Date

I wake up, still feeling a bit uneasy after yesterday. The sound of the TV being on comes from the living room, so I force myself out of bed, emotions still messed up as I grab my phone and walk out of my room. Standing in the doorway, rubbing my eyes, I watch Timika as she watches her Saturday cartoons. "You okay after last night?" I ask, causing her to jump a little. She turns, glaring at me. "Don't do that! And........ Yeah, I'm good. Any word from the three of them?" I look at my phone to check for any missed calls or texts. Nothing. I shake my head, looking at my little sister. She frowns slightly.

"Maybe they feel bad after last night. We should call them and tell them its okay, and we're good now." I call Gaara first, but receive no answer. Odd. He always answers when I call. I then try Temari, but no answer either. I don't have Kankuro's number, so I have no way to contact him. I send Gaara a text, hoping he'll at least answer that. Something's going on, and I don't like it.

Timika and I eat breakfast as we wait. After dressing, we pop in "The Lego Movie," a favorite of Timika's. As she watches and talks with the characters, I go to my room and check my phone again. Nothing. I'm getting slightly annoyed and really worried. Something really is up.

Gaara's P.O.V

Sitting on the couch, my phone buzzes again. I glance at it. Has to be another text from Kikima. Its been sitting on the coffee table since I woke up this morning. Around 10 a.m., it went off showing her pic on the screen. Temari and Kankuro, sitting on the love seat beside the couch, look at me as I stare at my phone. We all knew Kikima was calling, but I couldn't bring myself to pick up. After last night, I started to worry she'd want nothing to do with us.

Five minutes after Kikima called me, Temari's phone went off. She went to grab it out of her pocket, but I told her, "Leave it. Its probably just Kiki." Kankuro and Temari try to tell me I need to talk to her, but I said no. I voice my concern, and they both stay quiet afterwards. I couldn't talk to her, nor could I bring myself to look at her texts. Temari sighs, and gets up to go into the kitchen. My phone buzzes again. Another text.

Walking out of the kitchen, Temari heads upstairs, a sandwich in hand. I remain sitting on the couch staring at my phone. It goes off again, showing Kikima's picture. Temari groans halfway up the steps. "Gaara, just answer it! You're probably just scaring her by ignoring the fact the she's trying to contact you." I slowly reach for my phone and answer it. "Hello?" I hear a huge sigh of relief. "Thank goodness! I was hoping you'd pick up!" Kikima said, voice cracking like she was gonna cry.

"Are you alright?" I ask a bit worried. She says yes, and before I can say anything, she starts talking. "Look, about last night, its all good. Timika and I are fine. Its just, the subject of our parents is just slightly disturbing to us, considering how bad our childhood was." I stay quite, shocked. So she still wants to be with me? "So, we good?" My voice slightly breaks its normal rough tone for a second. "Yeah. I'm not going to break up with you, that's for sure. And don't start crying, or I'm gonna cry to. And it'll look messy." She laughs out, causing me to let out a soft, gravelly chuckle.

"Okay, see you Monday then?" she asks me. In idea comes to mind just then. "Actually, I was hoping we could, ya know, maybe later, uh.............." I hear her laugh on the other end. "You trying to ask me out on a date?" I swallow a growing lump in my throat. Nervously, I answer, "Yes." There's a bit of a pause on her end. "I think you already have your answer. The last word you said should give you your answer. Where and when?" I'm in shock again. "Uh, where do you work at?" She giggles.

"Baskin Robin's. Why?" "Meet me there in an hour?" I ask, worrying again. "Actually, I'll drop off Timika and we'll go together, okay?" she says sweetly, making me blush. "Yeah, sure. See you in an hour?" She chuckles. "Sure. See you soon." With that she hangs up. I put my phone in my lap, letting out a giant sigh of relief. Temari walks around the corner, eyeing me. I look at her, relaxing my body.

She smiles. "Heard everything. Good luck on the date. And uh, might want to change into something a little nicer." She was talking about my black sweatpants and black T-shirt. But, Temari was right. Heading up to my room, I grab some ripped blue jeans and a black long sleeve shirt, then head to the shower. Waiting an hour was going to kill me.

Kikima's P.O.V

As soon as I put my phone down, I go to my closet and pull out a nice red blouse, then pull out a pair of black skinny jeans to go with it. I wanted to look nice, even if it was just a casual date. I tell Timika I'm going to take a shower as she stuffs her face with a cheese and mustard sandwich. She gives me a thumbs up. I'm in and out in 15 minutes. We left a half hour later, heading to Gaara's place. Temari opens the door as we pull up, only to be tackled by Timika.

Gaara walks out and stops in his tracks when he sees me. Temari guides my sister inside, and the door closes behind my boyfriend. "Ready?" I ask him, motioning to my car. Gaara shakes his head, snapping back to reality, then gives me a kind smile. "Yeah." He opens the passenger side door, giving me a kiss as he slides in and closes the door. I hop back in on the drives side, bringing the cars engine back to life. We take off down the road, heading out on our first date.