age thirteen: chaewon

"How does it feel to be old?" her father jokingly asked. "Remind me to buy you a cane when I go to the store."

"Very funny dad, but I'm not that old. But when I have enough money I'll buy you a walker." Chaewon chuckled taking a sip of her beverage. Her mother smiled at the two. Their bond was quite amusing to her.

After many anxious months of waiting, Chaewon finally became a teenager; to her parent's dismay. Not only did she hit the teens but now that she was older, her parents would be giving her more freedom than before, which excited her.

As they laughed together, the sudden burst of gunshots rang through their ears. Everyone tried to evacuate the restaurant to get away from the brutal murderer, including the kim family. Chaewon's father made sure that his daughter and loving wife made it out alive. Even if it meant he didn't escape.

When they realized he wouldn't be coming out of the restaurant, they were devastated. Chaewon lost a father. Her mother lost a husband and her sight to see the world in colors. His saddened wife's vision returned to shades and tints as she clutched onto her daughter, who was sobbing into her sweater sleeve, one that her dad bought her as a present.

Not once after the incident did her daughter want to listen to the story of lovely colors. It only gave her bad memories and for Chaewon's mother, it would remind her of the colors she could never see again.

Chaewon believed that it was her fault that her male parent passed away, after all, he did die on her birthday. Her mother told her to dismiss those thoughts out of her matured mind, but deep down her daughter still believed it.

To get rid of those dark thoughts, her mother took her to a local bookstore. Chaewon was always a bookworm, ever since her mother started to tell her about the world in different colours, she grew to love stories about romance. So for the next several years, she worked at the store that held many memories.