One

They carried her in kicking and screaming. The Soldier glanced up from her cell to settle a less-than-passionate gaze on the new prisoner. She would quiet down, soon. They always did. Such was the natural progression in this dismal prison: they screamed and then they cried and then they adjusted. Not her. She'd never been so rash, so impassioned.

The Revolutionary spit on her captor's boots as, to the Soldier's dismay, she was shoved into the cell already occupied by the other girl. Then the Revolutionary turned to the Soldier and stuck out a hand in greeting.

"Hello. I don't recognize you. What's your name?"

The Soldier glared at her. "I'm no one of any importance. A soldier. That is all."

"A Soldier, you say? Isn't that nice. On what side of the war?"

The Soldier sighed. "That doesn't matter now, does it?"

The Revolutionary let out an exasperated noise. "Of course it matters! And aren't you going to tell me your name, or will I be calling you Soldier from now on?"

The Soldier shrugged. "That suits me just fine."

The Revolutionary shook her head. "No, no, no, no, no. That won't do at all. If you won't tell me your real name, I'll just have to give you one."

The Soldier raised an eyebrow. "Oh?"

"Yes. Let me think... Sol. Short for Soldier. That's your name, now, unless you want to tell me your real one."

"Sol." That was all she said. Her face remained expressionless but there was an almost approving tone to her voice. Silence ensued.

"Well, Sol, aren't you going to ask me my name?"

"I wasn't planning on it."

The Revolutionary huffed. "I wasn't going to tell you, anyways, since you're rude and won't give me yours."

"I see."

"I'm a revolutionary," the Revolutionary said.

"I could tell that when they brought you in," Sol replied.

"How come?"

"You were screaming like one."

"Huh." She seemed to consider this. "Well, don't you need something to call me other than Revolutionary?"

"I think I'll manage."

The Revolutionary sighed. "Fine, I'll come up with my own nickname. You like to make things difficult, don't you?"

Sol shrugged.

The Revolutionary shook her head. "Fine. Reva. Sol for Soldier, Reva for Revolutionary."

"Reva has an entirely different 'e' sound than Revolutionary."

"I don't care."

Sol shrugged. "I suppose we have something in common after all."

Reva laughed. "Was that a joke? You didn't strike me as the type."

Sol didn't answer, but when Reva had her back turned she broke out into a small smile.