10: Pancakes and Twister

A/N: dedicated to TheFashionPixie for the beautiful cover c:

When I woke up one morning, about a week and a half after my older sister's arrival, I had expected it to be like any other. Take a shower, get ready for school, and then actually go to school. That wasn't even close to how it actually turned out. It hadn't even started off like any other day; I'd woken up to the sound of Mitch's squeals and laughter.

"O-oh my god! Sa-Sahil!" Mitch let out another loud squeal, followed by her never-ending laughter as I warily tiptoed towards the living room. "Stop! Oh my g-god—"

"Say it," Sahil's deep voice cut through her laughter and I peered around the wall connecting the hallway to the living room. At the very center of the living room, where the coffee table had been just the night before, was Mitch and Sahil atop a twister mat as he profusely tickled her. He was grinning as Mitch wriggled and laughed beneath him, trying desperately to escape. It was useless though because even laying down Sahil towered over her.

"Never!" Mitch managed to shout defiantly.

I couldn't help but smile at the scene, seeing my sister look so happy was extremely unusual but it was nice.

"Bunny," she squealed, spotting me. "Don't just stand there! He-help me – d-dog pile or so-someth–thing." She added and burst out laughing once more as Sahil's hands attacked her sides.

Without even thinking about it I stumbled forward, jumping on top of Sahil's back and causing him to fall down a little. He quickly laughed it off, and I joined in as he reached his arms around to tickle my as well. Squealing just as my sister had, Mitch slithered out from beneath him at the chance and moved to lay on top of me. I let out a strange wheezing sound at the pressure of her weight, but laughed nonetheless as Sahil collapsed against the floor.

"Ha!" Mitch stretched her arms out past my head and poked either side of Sahil's face. "I win."

"Alright, alright," Sahil laughed. "I admit defeat – but you cheated."

Mitch didn't deny it as she rolled off me, and I gratefully took her outstretched hand, smiling like an idiot as she pulled me up. When her arm wrapped around my shoulders – very casually – I tried desperately to hold in my surprise. I was pretty sure I failed miserably, because when Sahil glanced up as he stood he grinned at me.

"What do you ladies say to some pancakes?" Mitch said and Sahil raised an eyebrow at her.

"As long as I'm the one driving," Sahil told her.

"Awesome." Mitch grinned and looked down at me, "You're gonna be late for school, will you need a note or something?"

I gaped up at her. The only purpose of her even coming to see me was because our mother - or rather, her mother - wanted me disciplined for disobeying her. Mitch's visit wasn't supposed to be a positive one. She was supposed to be keeping an eye on me, making sure I didn't keep being friends with Kyle, Ray, and Jackson. I knew that much, it wasn't exactly a secret. Part of me knew Mitch had never really seen us as sisters, which was why she was always so quick to follow mother's orders and discipline me if necessary. If I kept disobeying orders. So how had she changed so much since the last time we had seen one another? She hadn't let on the fact that she was here simply to keep me away from the friends mother didn't approve of.

What exactly is she doing?

Despite my confusion, I shook my head at her. "N-No," I answered. "My attendance is almost per-perfect so I'll be f-fine wi-without one."

She nodded and stepped away from me, plopping down on the couch to pull on her shoes. "Good, get ready then. I'm starving."

Half an hour later the three of us were seated at a corner booth in Casey's Café & Diner. Mitch was leaning against the window, staring at everyone who passed. She already knew what she wanted – chocolate chip pancakes (her favorite). Sahil was leaned back, one arm stretched across the top of the seat, the other tracing over the menu. I sat and watched the pair, still very confused over when Mitch was going to address the reason for her stay. Suddenly, Sahil winced and slid out from the booth.