8: Cologne and Cauliflower

The next day went infinitely better than the one before and much to my surprise, neither Kyle nor Ray mentioned my promised explanation. Every class came and went, and lunch passed with Kyle and Ray bickering about the plans for their third date. Part of me wondered why they hadn't started officially and exclusively dating yet, but I presumed it had something to do with Ray's hidden aversion towards expressing emotion.

It hadn't taken me very long to notice, despite her clear attempts to prevent the world from seeing it, but I could tell she had issues when it came to the word love. Rather than ever having asked her about it, I simply let it be because I knew the type of girl she was. She was strong enough to figure it out on her own or go to someone for help when and if she needed it.

But as I sat in the art room, waiting patiently for class to begin, I didn't think about any of that. I simply doodled on the surface of the table in front of me. Eventually the bell rang, and as Jackson quickly sat down beside me, Ms. Marx handed out large sketch pads and charcoal pencils.

"I want you all to do a portrait of your partners – this actually is based on their outward appearance, so do it right. Don't just give them a blank expression. I want to see the best side of them you've seen, even if it has been just a couple days. Try to get to know them as you draw."

I sat awkwardly beside Jackson, trying to think of anything to begin a conversation with. It went on like that for almost ten minutes before a distinct scowl was sent in our direction by Ms. Marx. So I turned in my seat, offered a small smile to Jackson, and began to sketch.

I did the outline of his jaw first, eyes glazing over the sharp edges, and it twitched. He was completely focused on the pad of paper in front of him and seemingly completely unaware of Ms. Marx as she stood beside him and glanced at the paper. Part of me was curious as to how his sketch was going and what it would look like, although I kept my mouth shut and didn't ask about it. I was sure, no matter what, it would look amazing.

Turning my attention back to my own side of the assignment, I began a basic outline of his facial features, and when he flicked his head to the side to push long curls away from his eyes without actually having to pause in his drawing, I noticed there was a slight bump on the bridge of his nose. Presumably from multiple broken noses, but I tried not to think about that. Instead I smiled at how focused he was, truly in awe over how amazing his concentration was.

My fingers moved quickly across the paper as I studied his features, drawing sharp lines and smoothing them out with the pads of my fingertips. I skipped to his eyes next, but paused before I even began when I caught them glued on me.

He didn't look away when I caught his gaze, although it shouldn't have been that much of a surprise to me. He didn't appear the least bit embarrassed to be caught staring, although I personally could feel my face warming with color. Jackson, in all of his self-assured and slightly bipolar glory, simply kept on staring. And I, for whatever reason, was rendered unable to look away myself and simply smiled at him.

"If you keep changing your expressions like that, it's going to be harder for me to draw you," Jackson finally said.

"O-oh! Sorry—" I began, the smile faltering.

He shook his head at me and stared blankly down at the sketch pad in his lap. "It's fine. Just try to keep the same kind of smile on your face, yeah?"

I blinked in surprise. The same kind of smile? What was that supposed to mean?

"U-um, the sa-same kind?" I stammered quickly.

Jackson froze and the charcoal pencil in his hand snapped in half from the pressure of his fist around it. The sudden sound made me jump and when his face turned away I could feel my breathing come to a sudden halt because Jackson Fields was blushing. Jackson Fields was embarrassed, and the sight of his cheeks tinting red only made my own flush darker. Despite that, and myself, a wide smile spread across my face – so large I knew it would hurt eventually.