Knives by the Beach

(Hi friends. I know I've been missing in action for a little while, I'm sorry about that. I've been one big ball of stress for the past few days because of all the exams I've had. I don't test well at all. But now it's Friday, and instead of studying for my history exam, I decided to procrastinate by writing this. I hope you enjoy it. <3)

***

"Do you know what tomorrow is, Joey?" Daniel asked, breaking the silence of the living room as he glanced down at the other man, who had his head resting gently on Daniel's lap. They had been enjoying each others' company in silence, while watching an episode of Drag Race they'd both seen too many times before. 

"Hmmm," Joey started, furrowing his eyebrows and chewing harshly on his lower lip, as if he was struggling to remember. "Tomorrow's Wednesday, I think. Right?"

"Yeah, it's Wednesday, but what else is it?" Daniel questioned, leaning closer to Joey and reaching for the television remote, to mute the sound of the loud, angry drag queens who were interrupting their conversation. 

"Would you like me to be more specific?" Joey inquired, trying to put on an innocent face, even though he was seconds away from bursting out laughing at Daniel's seriously worried expression. "Tomorrow is December 16th, 2015, which is also a Wednesday, as I already mentioned."

"Are you sure there isn't anything important happening tomorrow?" Daniel murmured, seeming to be completely oblivious to the fact that Joey didn't-and would never dream of-forgetting Daniel's birthday. Joey decided his stupid joke had to come to an end before Daniel actually got mad at him.

"I was kidding, babe," Joey groaned slightly, nuzzling his face into Daniel's shirt. It was incredibly soft, so he stayed there for a few moments. Daniel was like his own personal cloud. He finally emerged from his cocoon of cotton and polyester and looked up at Daniel. "Tomorrow is your birthday, you drama queen."

"I knew you wouldn't forget," Daniel grinned down at the face that was smiling right back up at him, a look of relief in his eyes.

"Well, you sure didn't seem like you had very much faith in me," Joey teased, sitting up and moving his head from Daniel's lap to his shoulder. 

"Alright, maybe you had me worried for, like, two seconds.." Daniel admitted, sheepishly, resting his head gently on top of Joey's.

"Not only did I remember your birthday, my dear Daniel, but I also have a special surprise for you tomorrow," Joey revealed.

"What is it?" Daniel's eager voice questioned in Joey's ear.

"You'll see."

***

"Oh my God, look Joey!" Daniel whisper-yelled, running over to the flowers. His voice had a sense of childlike innocence as he ran all over the place, trying to get a good view of everything the garden had to offer. 

"Yeah, I see the flowers, Daniel," Joey chuckled just a little bit. He'd decided to vlog their little excursion, but didn't want to turn on his camera quite yet. This moment was beautiful, as was any moment when Daniel was involved, but he was sure it would make a much better memory than a video clip. Joey's surprise for Daniel ended up being a wine tasting tour, with a load of scenery along the way. As soon as Joey had seen it, he knew it was perfect.

"Wine tasting?" Daniel had asked when Joey first told him what they were doing. "We're like classy soccer moms." That comment earned a giggle from Joey, along with a kiss on the cheek.

"We are the classiest of soccer moms."

***

Joey turned on the camera a little while later, once the initial excitement of seeing the view for the first time, and all the kissing, was over. Joey and Daniel had decided that Valentine's Day would be their day to tell the world about their love, but that was still a good two months in the future. 

Joey explained to his camera that it was Daniel's birthday, and they were going on the tour to taste wine. Daniel repeated his soccer mom joke, and Joey laughed, but it would never be the same as the first time, and Joey knew it. 

They each had four glasses of wine at the first stop, which was probably only about one full glass each-the glasses were never even close to being completely full. Joey decided he hated red wine, while Daniel discovered he was in love with it. "Opposites attract," he had said, giving Joey a loving smile when they revealed their different tastes. 

They walked along, Joey holding Daniel's hand with one hand and the camera in the other, making sure to try and keep their intertwined fingers out of his shot. They made stupid jokes to each other, and occasionally stopped to look at their gorgeous surroundings. Joey teased Daniel about how his hat was bigger, and therefore, he was superior. They drank a little too much wine together, and kissed even though the camera was still on. "I'll edit it out later," Joey had mumbled with a small shrug after the first time it happened. They posed for Instagram photos together, taking about twenty of them before finding one that really captured the 'essence of the moment,' as Daniel put it. They were on top of the world.

***

They met a beautiful cat at their third location, deeming her the softest cat in the universe. They sat on the sofa with her, just talking to her and petting her, and probably annoying her. They talked about adopting a cat, but ultimately decided against it, mostly because of their dogs, but partly because they decided they weren't 'pussy people.' 

"I'm in hell, right now," Daniel told Joey with a straight face as he held onto his hand, which had just been scratched by the deadliest weapon known to man-cat claws. 

***

Joey and Daniel stopped for lunch at a cluster of tables underneath a group of trees, looking out at an unsurprisingly gorgeous view. They ate a variety of salads, some Triscuits, and grapes, drinking water from wine glasses, as they both decided they'd had enough wine for the day. They talked, and occasionally threw grapes at each other, enjoying the shade.

After lunch, Joey decided they should walk to the beach together, deciding a walk on the beach and some more beautiful views would be a good way to continue Daniel's birthday date. 

They walked along the rocks, Joey with his camera to vlog at least a little bit of the beach portion of their day. They talked to each other about anything and everything, with the sound of waves gently lapping on the sand in the background.

Everything was pretty flawless-until Daniel found a knife in the rocks. Joey supposed that wasn't a flaw. Daniel seemed to find it pretty hilarious. He found it even more hilarious to chase a freaking-out Joey around with it for awhile. Whatever makes him happy, Joey thought to himself, laughing and playing along for the camera. 

***

Joey and Daniel had their birthday celebration dinner at a restaurant Joey had found and decided to try. Joey vlogged about Daniel's birthday chocolates, (they hadn't given him any actual cake) and about the bar, which had strange lobster-like creatures in it. He wasn't a fan. 

In bed that night, Joey lay with his arms wrapped around Daniel.

"Did you have a good birthday?" he whispered, his voice finally piercing the silence.

"It was the best birthday I've ever had," Daniel replied, moving even closer to Joey as he spoke. 

"Only the best for my pig," Joey joked, his eyes fluttering shut. "I love you."

"I love you, too," was the last thing Joey heard before sleep took him away, that perfect moment staying in his mind for a long time.