Chapter 13 - Beorn

Another day came and past and the group became closer to the mountain with each step. Noon had come and Vanáezae found another catch for them. The tension had slightly lessened but it was still there. Night came and they camped at an outcropping of rock. At was small, yet it would still be enough room for everyone. Vanáezae placed herself near the back of the group with Vanadessë and put out her bed roll. The group soon went to sleep after.

A lot of howling and barking had the company up and stirring. Everyone gathered their things quickly and waited. The sun was just beginning to rise. They knew they had to move, and quickly. Azog was coming. They debated on who should check where Azog was. After much fighting Bilbo volunteered and climbed towards the sound. Minutes later a loud roaring could be heard. Very loud, and to whomever it belonged to must have been big. Bilbo came back running and panting.

"How close is the pack?" Thorin demanded.

"Too close. A couple of leagues, no more. But that is not the worst of it," Bilbo panted. The group surrounded him.

"Do they know we're here?" Vanáezae asked.

"Not yet but they will. We have another problem."

"Did they see you? They saw you!" Gandalf spoke, not giving the hobbit a chance to answer.

"No that's not it."

"What did I tell you?" Gandalf nodded. "Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material."

Everyone nodded and smiled. The wizard was right. Vanáezae and Vanadessë shared a look. They knew the hobbit needed to say something.

"Will you listen? Will you just, listen?" Bilbo spoke the last sentence louder. "I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there."

A few people groaned and the group was silent.

"What form did it take? Like a bear?" Gandalf asked, face grave.

"Y-Ye-Yes but bigger, much bigger."

"You knew about this beast?" Bofur asked. Everyone turned to him and Gandalf turned away. "I say we double back."

"We'll be run down by a pack of orcs," Thorin reminded. People agreed.

"There is a house," Gandalf turned back towards the company. It was silent once more. "It's not far from here where me might, take refuge."

"Whose house?" Thorin asked. "Are they friend or foe?"

"Neither. He will help us or, he will kill us."

"What choice do we have?"

A loud roar interrupted them and everyone stared in fear of the sound. It was much closer this time.

"It doesn't sound like we have one. Run!" Vanáezae urged.

The company immediately ran. The sun rose and the company was still going.

"Come on!" Gandalf yelled, waving his arm over his shoulder.

Another roar sounded and the company stopped, turning in the direction of the sound.

"This way, quickly!" Gandalf yelled again, resuming his run.

They ran again and Thorin had to turn Bombur around so as to keep him running. The edge of the forest was seen and the two females of the group started to slow, ending up at the back of the line.

"Run!" Gandalf said.

They watched as Bombur started passing everyone. It looked rather comical and Vanáezae would have laughed if she wasn't running for her life. There wasn't enough time to reach the house and there was still too much ground between them and the house.