Chapter 3 - Let the Quest Begin

Vanáezae woke up just before dawn. Stretching her flame colored wings, she looked around. No hobbits were up yet. Then again it may be due to the fact that the sun hadn't risen yet. Vanáezae flew down to Bilbo's porch and transformed back into her elven form. She opened the front door and went inside, hoping she didn't wake anyone up. Looking around Vanáezae saw all of the dwarves sleeping on the floor.

"Good morning Lilia," Gandalf greeted behind her.

"Good morning Gandalf," Vanáezae replied. "I thought we agreed to call me Vanáezae."

"Ah, yes. We did," Gandalf mumbled to himself.

"Should we wake the Company?"

"Yes, we should. And by we I mean you, Vanáezae," He said.

This will take a while, she thought. After several minutes of trying to wake them, Vanáezae gave up and watched Thorin wake them up. At least they listened to him. Thorin of course wasn't happy when she woke him up. During the waking a few curious looks were sent to her. Maybe they thought she would have left by now.

Most of the dwarves had packed up and began saddling their ponies, which were tied to the fence outside. Two horses stood to the left of the ponies. One of them must've been for her because she was one of the tallest beings there. Gandalf confirmed her suspicions by telling her which was hers. Thorin took the time to tell the company to mount up so they could get going. Vanáezae followed and mounted her horse, urging it forward to follow the ponies.

"Vanáezae," Fili said, his pony coming up next to Vanáezae's horse.

"Yeah?" She asked.

"We were wondering if you thought that Bilbo would show up or not," Kili said, now rinding on the other side of Vanáezae.

"Oh he'll come," Vanáezae said, smirking.

"I'll bet 20 coins he won't," Dwalin called from in front of her.

"You're on."

Vanáezae rode up next to Dwalin and they shook hands, agreeing on the price of 20 coins. Of course she had no money, but Dwalin didn't know that. And she may as well use her knowledge of Middle-Earth while she still has it. She then heard the light padding of feat far behind them and a voice calling out, "Wait! Wait!".

Vanáezae stopped her horse and the company followed suit. Bilbo ran straight past Vanáezae and to Balin who was in front of Dwalin.

"I signed it," Bilbo said, holding out the contract to Balin.

"Everything seems to be in order. Welcome, master Baggins, to the Company of Thorin Oakenshield," Balin said, winking at Bilbo.

"Give him a pony," Thorin ordered.

"No-no-no. That-that won't be necessary. I'm sure I can keep up. I've had my share of walking holidays. Even have gotten as far as Frogmorton once- WAGH!" Bilbo was picked up by Fili and Kili and was put on Mirtyl.

"Come on, Dwalin! Pay up!" Vanáezae called.

He grumbled about 'elves and their cheating ways' and threw her a bag of coins. Bags of coins were being tossed everywhere. Vanáezae put the coins in her bag and trotted up to Gandalf and Bilbo.

"What was that all about?" Bilbo asked.

"Oh they took wagers on whether or not you'd turn up. Most of them bet that you wouldn't," Gandalf replied.

"And what did you think?"

"Well..." Gandalf trailed off. He then caught a sack of coins flying his way and put it in his bag. "My dear fellow. I never doubted you for a second."