Chapter 11 - Small Talk

Night had come quickly and Vanáezae had long since shifted back into her original form. The dwarves had built a small fire to keep themselves warm. She on the other hand sat away from the others. No one came near but Vanáezae could hear some of them chatting about her. Questions came up, Dwalin glared at her, and Thorin's eyes showed so much distrust.

Bilbo seemed worried about Vanáezae, she could tell, and Gandalf was just sitting to the side smoking his pipe. Vanadessë was torn between talking to Vanáezae or Thorin. Her best friend or the person she had a crush on. Vanadessë may of course deny this but Vanáezae could see it in her eyes. Vanadessë looked to Bilbo for help, who in turn nodded and walked over towards Vanáezae and Vanadessë over to Thorin.

Bilbo sat next to Vanáezae, her knees pressed against her chest and her arms folded around them. There became silence between them, not a tense one but more of an almost peaceful one. Anyone would tell Bilbo had a question.

"Why?" Bilbo asked.

Vanáezae's gaze snapped from the rocks below her and to Bilbo's eyes.

"What?" She questioned, trying to play it off.

"Why didn't you tell us? Or at least Kili?"

"I just, couldn't."

"That's not an answer."

She looked down. "Please try to understand Bilbo, I'm different. I shape shift, and into a dragon at that. Thorin's home was taken by one. He has every right to judge me."

Bilbo's eyes hardened. "No he does not. You have saved us on multiple occasions. The wargs, the goblins, and from Azog himself." Vanáezae looked back up to Bilbo, sadness clearly written on her face. "You may turn into something Thorin dislikes," Bilbo continued, "but that is not you. You are also a member of this company. And my friend."

Vanáezae smiled softly. The little hobbit can really make someone smile. Reaching over she hugged Bilbo.

"Thank you," she whispered.

The hobbit hugged her back and stood up. He went to go back to the other when Vanáezae told him to wait. Bilbo stopped and looked down at her.

"Send Kili over please? I need to speak with him."

Bilbo grinned at little but nodded. Vanáezae turned back to looking at the ground below her. Soon she could feel Kili's presence next to her as he too sat down. Her eyes traveled over to him but he was looking forward, at the mountain. Minutes passed and no one spoke a word.

"You could have told me, Vanáezae," Kili suddenly said.

"No, Kili, I couldn't," Vanáezae replied.

"Why?"

This immediately came back as Vanáezae's and Bilbo's conversation.

"Gandalf told me not to and, you guys would never trust me. I mean, an elf who turns into a dragon. Thorin's worst nightmare."

Kili laughed a little at that and Vanáezae smiled. He has a nice laugh. Wait what? Vanáezae cleared her mind and looked up at Kili who in turn looked down at her. His gaze met her and he looked down immediately. Vanáezae dismissed the weird act and too looked down.

"You know," Kili smirked, "I think your friend likes Thorin."

That picked up Vanáezae's interest. "Vanadessë?"

"Yeah, her. She likes him."

"I agree, and I would say that your uncle likes her too. He may not show it but I can see it in his eyes every time he looks at her."