Sara stepped nude onto the balcony and leaped into the air. The hawk's rapid wing beats helped it reach an altitude above the trees almost instantly.

Dagger?

Dagger almost lost control of his motorcycle. "Sonofabitch!" He careened around a corner and down a sidewalk near an outdoor café sending dinner patrons running for cover.

I'm sorry. I did it again?

I'll get used to it, eventually.

Padre's in trouble.

Where is he?

Sara explained Padre's phone call and how it sounded as if someone had surprised him.

We can't get there in time, Sara. I'll place another call to their police department. Make sure they realize the urgency. Where are you now?

I'm not sure. I'm following the shoreline so it shouldn't take too long. Once I get there, the wolf will have a better sense of smell.

Be careful, Sara. Remember what we talked about. After his call to the police, Dagger described to Sara his meeting with Pete Foster.

And this was never revealed in the police report?

No.

Dagger, have you tried calling Padre's cell phone?

Yes. There's no answer.

After a few moments of silence, Sara said, I can see the resort. I'm going in for a closer look. The hawk glided over the resort, seeing the lights around the pool, courtyard, and the streets outlining the property. It searched for police cars and spotted them parked in front of the hotel. Then it looked for the maintenance shed where Padre had said he'd found the rug.

I'm here, Dagger. I don't see an ambulance, only police cars parked by the entrance.

I'm about twenty minutes away.

Dagger prayed nothing serious happened to Padre. Mile markers flew by, and he passed several unmanned police cars, parked for the sheer purpose of slowing traffic. The helmet was hot but a necessity when driving at night. Bugs were too numerous and some too large to leave one's face unprotected.

It wasn't until his fingers started aching that he realized he had a vice grip on the handlebar. Subconsciously, he was thinking the worst about Padre. He approached the exit for the Dunes Resort. He was ten minutes away.

Gliding over the maintenance shed the hawk searched for movement. Its acute eyesight made the area below look bathed in daylight, every detail illuminated. It circled the shed twice. Convinced it was unseen, it swooped down and shifted into a gray wolf.

Immediately, its sense of smell detected danger. Lifting its head, the wolf listened, trying to block out distant sounds from the pool, the squirrels and cicadas, the four-legged creatures, and the horns from offshore boats.

Convinced that no two-legged creatures were close by, the wolf scurried up to the shed door and immediately picked up the scent. It followed the scent of blood down to the shoreline.

Dagger, where are you?

Dagger flinched and swore under his breath. I should be there shortly, barring any unforeseen speeding tickets. Have you seen any police?

Not yet. I haven't found Padre yet, either.

What looked like a pile of rags bobbed just off shore. The wolf kicked up sand as it rushed toward the water. It immediately saw that the pile of rags had arms and legs.