VII - For the First Time

Start from the beginning

Darcy leaned down to her husband and kissed his forehead. Beside Juliette, Jasper Lancechester was the most beloved person in her life, her dearest and most cherished friend in the entire world, and seeing him so miserable all the time saddened her. She wanted to see Jasper love again not for her desire to see him happy, but the strong admiration she knew Jasper could express would surely do good for his own heart.

"You think Elijah wouldn't be upset?" Jasper asked.

"I think it would do his spirit well to see you thrive again. You love so beautifully, Jasper. Let yourself feel what it's like again. I'm sure Mr. Creel could use it, too."

Jasper sat back in the armchair with a sigh, Darcy's calming fingers running through his hair as he gazed up into the still eyes of Elijah's portrait. Such a wonderful boy had once been his to love and have all to himself, but was it time to let go, to work on living this life he had without drowning in his own grief? He doubted the years left in his lifetime would come absent further hardships. There were certain to be those days here and there that rendered the stronghold on his emotions fragile, and there were certainly going to be those days that reminded him of what he could have had. But...how about now? What could he have now?

"You think," the Master started, "Timothy would fancy me?"

Darcy's eyes lit up with happiness, and she offered Jasper a hand, assisting him to his feet since his foot still ached. "Oh, Jasper, I believe anyone would fancy you. Even myself if I was not, dare I say, averse to seeking a true romance with a man." She laughed, keeping the Master's hand in her soft grip. "Now let us get back downstairs. I can smell the food from here, and I am rather starved. Aren't you, my dear?"

"Yes, I am," Jasper wiped just below his eyes, making sure every sign of his previous tears were gone. But there was no way for him to get rid of the mild puffiness in his eyes.

Slowly, Darcy and Jasper went back down to the first floor, entering the large dining room just in time to see the servers leaving with empty hands. The long table was littered with silver trays of roast chicken, soups, bread, steamed vegetables, and baked salmon. Bowls of Jasper's favorite fruits were offered of course, and several pastry creations sat marvelously decorated on stylish platters. Timothy and Juliette were already seated in their respective chairs across from one another, Darcy taking a seat beside her lover, while a chair was pulled out for Jasper at the head of the table by Alexander.

The servant poured him wine and tea in their personal glasses, and then Jasper said, "I am alright, Alexander, you and the rest of the manor have your dinner as well."

The young man nodded in thanks before leaving.

"Forgive me for earlier," Jasper said aloud even though no complaints were thrown his way. "I am not feeling too well and thought I wouldn't be able to stand dinner. It seems, my hunger as gotten the best of me."

Darcy touched Jasper's hand from where she sat. "The tea," she said, as if believing the lie that he wasn't feeling well, "drink while it is warm." She then sat back and took a soup spoon in hand, dipping it before blowing at the hot steam rising out of the utensil. "Mr. Creel, if you are comfortable enough, may I inquire where it is you live? I was speaking with Jasper this morning about inviting you over more often, but we here are a little in the dark on where your home is located. We would love to send for you sometimes. If that is alright with you, of course."

Cutting into the roasted chicken on his plate, before eating, Timothy said, "I live roughly two and a half kilometers from the eastern point of Banemount. I'm afraid it is raher difficult to find if you're not sure where exactly to look. Goes to show I prefer my seclusion over public housing in the villages around the city."