"Yes, uh...some really strange things. I hoped you could help me put them in perspective, figure out what's going on and what I should do." She held one hand tightly with the other.

He raised an eyebrow. "Things...like?"

Cora was uneasy. It was hard to admit she entertained the possibility of a supernatural visitor. She felt silly, uncertain how to approach the subject. "Like angels, like spirits, like what is real and what is not. Like how to relate to an angel?" she said in a small, embarrassed voice, trying to ignore the lump in her throat.

He appeared unfazed. "Lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my! And things that go bump in the night? Your fears?" he teased kindly, tapping a forefinger on his gently smiling lips, lightening her tension and making it easier for her to go on.

"Yeah," she smiled, "especially the bump in the night part. But no. More than that, I think."

Never having consulted her friend professionally, Cora wondered if she was supposed to imitate his relaxed posture. She realized she was hugging her purse unconsciously, so she put it on the floor and settled back into her chair. She crossed her ankles and laid her arms on the armrests. She still felt awkward.

"You aren't comfortable here today, are you? That's not like you," Father said.

She shook her head. "No, I'm not. I feel-sort of like I would if I were seeing my neighbor for my annual physical instead of my doctor."

Father burst into a hearty laugh and Cora joined him, breaking the tension.

"Father, you know the Church's teachings about angels and spirits, and I thought you'd take me seriously," she said, leaning forward slightly. "I don't want to think I have a supernatural visitor, but I don't know what else to think."

He raised an eyebrow again, but smiled gently. "Okay. What's going on, my dear?"

The story tumbled out, slowly at first, and then she talked nonstop for twenty minutes. She told him everything-held nothing back, even her deductions and fears. Now and then he interrupted with a question. Nothing in his face or body language indicated surprise or disapproval and he seemed interested and concerned. She was relieved. She had been worried he would question her sanity. At last, she felt she had covered it all and stopped.

Father rested his chin on his interwoven fingers and closed his eyes in concentration. Cora waited nervously. Did he think she was blowing this out of proportion? Or imagining it?

At length he dropped his hands and looked directly at Cora. "Awful as it is, much of what you say could be coincidental." He held up a finger. "It could be real, with no apparent explanation." He held up a second finger. "It could be imagination, or exaggeration." He added a third finger. "Or we can consider a supernatural cause. What is concerning to me is the appearance of the pop-ups. Are you absolutely positive about those?"

Cora nodded emphatically. "As much as I can be. I know I didn't dream them. How could I be mistaken about something like that?"