Childhood #6. Prodigy

"You know Michael could sing ... Here's a little boy who could sing his little ass off. When he did one of Smokey's songs -- 'Who's Lovin' You?' -- at the end of it he would do this riff, and he did a riff that went off into a little minor bluesy kind of thing. I go, "Now wait a minute, he's too young to be riffing like that!"

Otis Williams, The Temptations

"Michael at a very young age had a lot of "know" to be able to sing a song like that! I wrote the song (Who's Loving You) and I thought I sang it! 2 years later, here comes this little kid and he's 10 years old!!

When I heard him, I thought to myself this boy cannot possibly be 10 years old!

This song is about somebody who has somebody who loved him but they treated him bad. They treated him so bad until they lost them. And now they are paying the price of wanting somebody back that they treated bad and lost. How could he possibly know these things?

I quickly went over to him because I wanted to see his birth certificate!

I did not believe that someone so young could have so much feeling and soul and knowledge. Knowing, he had a lot of knowing. He had to know something to sing that song like that. It was wonderful thought.

As a song writer that's a dream come true to have somebody sing one of your songs like that!!"

Smokey Robinson on Michael's performance of Who's Loving You in The Ed Sullivan Show in 1969

'Ever since Michael was very young, he seemed different to me from the rest of the kids. I don't believe in reincarnation, but you know how babies move so uncoordinated? He never moved like that. When he was dancing, it looked as if he was someone older. I was quite scared of it. He was so young. He didn't go out and played a lot. To tell the truth, I do not know where he got it. He just knew. I think Michael was born with it, although he was still tiny, three-year old, and the other kids and he used to sing ... That's what I pointed me out that he is a singer. He was in the corner, they sang, and he came out a perfect harmony and I thought: 'My God, where it comes from?' and then, when he was around 5 years, they wondered what to do in this step dance choreography and he did it. He said to them: 'No, do this and do that. '

Katherine Jackson, Michael's mother