On the Farm

Marie grinned to herself as she waked through the fields to the barn, a pail clutched in her rough hand. Since she had bought this farm, she had lived alone. It was better this way, everyone had said. Marie didn’t understand.

“Excuse me!” Someone yelled at her and she froze, spinning around and scanning the field. Two hikers stood at the fence and her eyes widened. Company? At last? She walked over to them slowly, a bounce in her step at the excitement of talking to someone.

“Hello!” she said brightly, here eyes wide with excitement and pleasure. The hikers stepped back, the girl slipping her hand into her partners. They looked at each other nervously as Marie stood waiting patiently. Don’t scare them away, she commanded herself inwardly, You’ll never see anyone else again if you do.

“We’re lost,” the girl said nervously. “We wondered if you could give us directions.” She played nervously with her white blonde hair, watching as the strange tanned farm girl grinned manically.

“If you’re busy though, we’ll just go. We don’t want to be a bother.” her fiancée said, edging backwards slowly.

“I’m not busy. I have a map in the kitchen if you want to come in.” Marie offered, opening the gate.

“Okay then.” the couple said, glancing at each other and stepping through the gateway together.

“Follow me!” Marie called brightly, turning and walking briskly across the field. The couple glanced at each other and gradually followed, an uneasy feeling in the pit of both of their stomachs. As they entered the house, it was clear that the strange woman lived alone. This made them feel even more uneasy and they remained near the door as she rooted through a drawer.

Marie could feel them watching her. The tension in the air made her realise they were scared. With a cry of delight, she pulled out a tattered book and placed it on the one-person table in front of her.

“Come here and look!” she called and they slowly edged closer to the table. Marie stepped out of the way of the table, and as the couple leaned over the map, she crept toward the door and shut it, quietly bolting it and turning to them. The girl was useless.

She ran a finger along the edge of the kitchen knife, grinning as blood spilled over from the small incision. This was perfect. She slowly edged towards the girl, knife ready, eyes wide in manic pleasure. She would never be alone again…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you like this? This is just a random short story I wrote. I hope you like it :D