The Mark

"Mom, how does it feel to get the mark for the first time?" asked Sunita.

"Satisfied as if you have done your duty, my dear," replied her mom.

"I'm so excited, mom."

"That's how everyone feels for the first time honey."

"But I'm a bit scared too," confessed Sunita.

"Why?" questioned her mom.

"What if I chose the wrong one? How do I know I've made the right choice?"

"Follow your instincts. Just think about the good deeds each one has done and do what your heart says, my dear," Radha told her, caressing her daughter's hair lovingly.

"It's better I don't do that."

"You shouldn't think like that. It's your duty. You shouldn't neglect it."

"Does it matter? Amidst the huge crowd how are they gonna find a single person who hasn't come?"

"My dear sweetie, they wouldn't be able to find you. But, every single person's choice is important."

"Why is it so important?"

"Because it's going to change our future."

 "Okay! But, I'm not sure. Let me try."

"Come on, Suni. It's time to go. Relax and choose the best."

Sunita was bubbling with excitement as it was her first time getting the mark. She was surprised to see a long queue waiting to get the mark. She was switching her weight from one leg to the other and fidgeting with her dupatta. The queue was moving in a faster pace. Still she was confused. She hadn't decided whom to choose. 

The time came for her to get the mark and she was soon standing in front of the official. A small smile crept up her face as she decided whom to chose. Standing inside the closed corner, she pressed the button near the symbol she chose. Content filled her heart as she heard the loud beep and a red light, light up the electronic voting machine. Her heart lept up in joy as the official imprinted the violet mark on her left index finger that indicated her fulfilled duty to the Nation. 

******************************************************

Author - Kyra92 

(07/04)