Chapter Seven: Nebulous

Magsimula sa umpisa

Perhaps Elrond should search for more stiff lipped couriers, as this one was doubted to survive a century with her distinct disregard of etiquette. Unfortunately, I did not get far from her before she called after me. "Wait! I wished to ask you something."

I couldn't wait, couldn't stop now. The reminder of the gap between my naneth and I—the thought that she had died in protecting me—it was a subject best avoided... but still I halted my movement.

"There is rumor that has traveled to the valley: how long until the forest is overrun? When will your warriors realize the battle they fight for has no end to it? No hope?"

I raised my chin, ire rising. "Perhaps your valley should remember to keep its mind on the affairs of its own realm." Never had the other realms found hope in our fight, choosing to dissuade us, convince us that defeat would be for the better. I turned my head, shaking as I did so. It was a lie and nothing more.

Or was that a lie to myself?

The people I passed were a blur of concern and disregard. Perhaps I was not hiding my upset as well as I thought. In any case, I soon arrived at the training fields and took up my bow and quiver. Strapping my quiver to my back, I made sure I could reach it with ease, as was the custom of warriors. No difficulty presented itself, and so I made my way from the weapons. This was not my bow, but it would do.

All came to a standstill as I approached the archery ranges, fingering an arrow's fletching. It was a familiar texture against my fingers, and I rolled it back and forth. I honed my senses on the coarse texture, the target within my sights. Gaining my stance, I breathed deeply—and then was in action. I drew back, looked down the arrow shaft, exhaled, and watched the arrow thud into the center of the target. Satisfaction thrashing inside me, I drew another arrow, repeating the process. One after the other soared from my bow, each hitting less than a second after its predecessor, moving almost as rapidly as my thoughts.

Why could I not protect my own home?—thud—After centuries of training, fighting, and planning, I could not keep the evil from looming directly in my own shadow—thud—creeping upon the very light of the heart of Eryn Galen—thud—Why must it all be so pointless?—thud—the injury, the battle, the death—thud—Were we lying to ourselves?— not winning, only delaying the inevitable defeat—thud—If I could not protect my own people, how could I protect those that were closest to me?—thud—keep those I loved from fading to the Halls of Mandos—thud—save them—thud—help them—thud—fail them—

Thudthudthudthudthud

My hand reached back to find empty air, the quiver having emptied. I would have searched for another, but a hand touched my shoulder, carrying a presence I knew too well. I whirled around and came face to face with Forven, his eyes conveying a silent plea. He would have me stop, but would not demand it. His plea was unnecessary, as the moment of quiet caused a crack in my wall, and all crumbled. I tried to calm myself, tried to keep my thoughts from overpowering me. It was not enough.

Swaying on my feet, I attempted to calm my pounding heart and rasping breath. Even as I did so, I found Forven with me, his arms wrapped about my shoulders. His murmurings reached my ears, muffled as they were. "It is all right, gwador. You don't have to hide your pain."

I shook my head, nonsensically saying something that even I did not understand.

Despite such, Forven shook his head, comfort in his words. "I know," he said, "I know, Legolas, I know. We came too close this time. Far too close."

"I almost lost him too, Forven. I did not expect it, did not see it coming. He would have died on my watch, because of my carelessness." I could not bear to raise my head, heavy as it felt. So many people I cared for, gone, lost to time...