Chapter 1 Has The Time Come?

Start from the beginning

I look at the knife I have in my hand before sighing again. The knife's tip has been bent, the rusty thing looking like it won't be of any more use at all. It hardly looks capable of picking the dirt from beneath my nails, I hardly doubt it'll be able to pick the lock on the door. But hey, it wouldn't be very fair of me to knock it down before I even attempted it right?

Time is running short, and it'd only be a matter of time before another robot came to check why the other had been shut down all of a sudden. They might even alert mother to this too.

Just the though has my breathing quickening, my vision growing hazy from the fear of it all.

No time for a panic attack now.

Taking deep slow breaths, I kneel down so that my face is right in front of the knob and pull the knife up before inserting the bent tip into the little lock hole. I shimmy the knife up and down, side to side and after a minute of no progress, I remove the knife from the hole only to groan in frustration at the sight of an, even more, bent tip. There goes plan B....

I pinch the bridge of my nose and inhale sharply, trying to think positively so I don't just give up right there. Tugging at my bangs once, I stand up and making my way towards the boarded window. My plan was to escape through the front door, but if that failed then I'd try and pick the lock. And if that failed, then I'd go through the window which doesn't sound appealing to me at all, seeing as this house is a two story and I my room is on the top floor. Looking at the knife, I can tell it won't be able to last long enough to pull the nails off of the boards. Of Course, there's always my quirks but since I need to be in top condition —or at least healthy— I'm not strong enough to be able to use my telekinesis long enough to rip the nails off of the boards, and as for my fire-breathing quirk I still can't control its range and I really don't feel like burning the house down with me and mother inside. Despite everything she's put me through, I'm not a murderer or suicidal.

Deciding it's worth a try and figuring I have no other option, I slide the knife between the wall and the board and pull the knife down with as much force as I can. Gritting my teeth, I watch as the nail holding the board down to the wall slowly pushes itself up, and just when I think it'll actually last long enough to get at least two of the nails off, the knife snaps. I stop my movements and groan as I pull the knife away from between the board and the window glaring at the now completely useless knife.

I shake my head before tossing the knife onto my bed. With a sigh, I stare at the nail that's now hanging halfway out of the board before grabbing it and pulling hard. The nail comes out easily and I let that drop onto the floor as I rub at the back of my neck with my free hand. I know what I have to do now, the only thing I'm not looking forward to is the fact that putting so much strain on my body might wake them up. Especially since they've been pretty quiet the whole day.

I need to hurry before my mother thinks to check up on me, so taking a deep breath I lift my arms up in front of me, my fingers spreading apart as I try to focus on what exactly it is that I want. I imagine the nails slowly pulling out of the boards and the boards following the nails as well. Then I imagine the boards along with the nails gently levitating to my bed before slowly placing themselves there. With that image in mind, I begin to feel the familiar pull from my chest towards my hands. I watch as the nails begin to slowly slide out of where it's at, and as I watch I feel my head begin to pound, my arms trembling and my vision wavering more than before.

It hasn't even been a full minute and I'm already feeling woozy. Ignoring what I'm feeling, I continue to use my quirk, squeezing my eyes shut as I apply more force to what I'm doing and as I do that, I begin to feel that familiar tickle at the back of my head along with soft whispers telling me to give in and use that.