Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

            "If only you had them too," I say.  I wonder if she can tell how nervous I am.  Hopefully, I sound as calm and fierce as she does.

            "Fine," says Cassi with an exasperated sigh.  "I had Dante kiss you, and I had Jenna take a picture.  What's the big deal?"

            Her words cut through my stomach.  I came into the conversation, thinking I knew the truth.  I knew Cassi was responsible for the Dante incident; but I knew she would at least feel guilty about it.  That emotion that flashed over her face earlier.  Maybe it wasn't guilt; maybe it was satisfaction.  I stare at her harder, trying to find any semblance of regret.  But, there's nothing.  Only her bored, expectant stare.

            "Do you have any idea..." I can't even finish my sentence.  My courage and blinding rage has suddenly fallen to the pits of my stomach.  I try to speak again, but this time my voice comes out as nothing but a crack.

            "I'm sorry if I frightened you, Finn."  Her voice softens slightly and her eyes widen into that famous puppy-dog stare.  But her sudden apology makes my anger return.  It is not guilt that has brought on her apology, but rather my obvious inferiority.  She is pitying me, just like she used to.

            "You don't frighten me," I say, digging my nails into my thighs.  "You disgust me."

            She tips her head back and snorts.  "I disgust you?"

            "Yes."

            "If it makes you feel better, I didn't do it to hurt you."  She picks at her nails.  "I mean, I don't really care that I did.  But, you weren't my intentional victim."

            Her eyes lock onto mine, as though she's trying to silently will something into my subconscious.  If only she knew that I won't play her mind games any more.  If she thinks I am threatened by her, she will only continue to torture me.  So, I hold my ground, but remain silent.

            "Don't you want to know who was?" she asks, a mischievous smile playing over her lips.

            I can't process this moment right now.  I feel as though my once bossy sister has turned into a complete psychopath.  Everything she says sounds eerie and allusive, causing my stomach to churn.

            "I don't care."  To be honest, I don't know who could've possible gotten hurt by the incident, aside from me.  Part of me wants to know what she's talking about, but the stronger part knows to stay away.  Cassi will try to mess with my head, and I can't let that happen.

            "Really?" she asks, pitching her voice.  "Not even the slightest guess?"

            "If you happen to find my somewhat sane sister, let me know."  I take a step backward. 

            Just as I turn around, Cassi says, "It's Elliot, Finn."

            I should have seen that coming.  And why wouldn't Cassi want to torture the guy she's obsessed with?

            "He looked pretty mad when he saw the pictures."  Cassi pushes away from the counter.  "I wouldn't be surprised if he never forgave you."

            "He already did," I say, but then I bite my tongue.  My responses are only urging her to continue with whatever twisted game she's playing.

            "Are you sure?" asks Cassi in a sing-song voice.  Still, I think I sense shock within her eyes.

            "Yes," I say.  "You know, just because he won't date you, doesn't mean you have to be a bitch to everyone."

            For some reason, her face brightens at my words.

            "You don't know; do you?" she asks. 

            She's trying to mess with you, Finn.  I continuously repeat that line through my head, but it doesn't matter.  If Cassi is trying to mess with me, it's working.

            "Just stop talking," I say. 

            "I know you think I'm some crazy bitch."  Cassi turns back to the counter.  "But has it even occurred to you that you don't know the truth?"

            I stare at the back of her head, but say nothing.  I don't know why I don't leave.  It's as though my feet are cemented into the ground, forcing me to listen to the rest of her speech.

            "Elliot isn't as perfect as you think, Finn."  She sighs.  "Trust me; I'm probably doing you a favor."

            "By what, having me assaulted?" I ask, clenching and unclenching my fists.  "He touched me, Cassi!  And I couldn't do anything to stop him.  You let someone hurt me—no, you told them to!"

            Cassi spins around, mouth open and ready to protest; but I don't let her.

            "Elliot wasn't the main one hurt, Cassi!  It was me.  You did something that you knew would destroy me.  You knew!"  My voice is breaking and splitting, but I don't let it soften.  "I'm your sister!  How could you?"

            "I'm not a bad person," Cassi hisses.  She bites down on her lip and looks away.

            "Yes, you are."

            "You just don't know the whole story."

            "I'm not listening to this."  I take another step backward.

            "He isn't perfect, Finn," says Cassi.  "He'll destroy you."

            "I think you've already done that for him." I turn and stalk from the kitchen.

            Cassi doesn't follow me, but her words do.  They repeat through my skull, smashing against my cranium and turning my rational thoughts into mush.  So much was said through that conversation that I can't decide which words were important.  If anything, I have gathered three things: Cassi is set upon hurting Elliot; she will ruin me to do it; and most of all, I know she's right about Elliot.  His mother's words of a secret come back to haunt me.  Elliot is hiding something, whether I want to admit it or not.

            I never assumed Elliot to be perfect, but I can't bear to think of him as cruel as Cassi.  It's impossible to imagine.  I try to think of a secret that could change the way I see things, a secret that could change everything.  But what could rattle the untouchable Cassi Lake?  What could force Elliot into secrecy?  I don't think I want to know; but unfortunately, I think I have to.

*******************************************************************

A/N: Hmm...not sure what I think about that chapter.  I am so sorry for the late update.  Things have gotten a bit crazy.  In good news, I wrote chapter twenty-five a while ago, so the break won't be as long next time.  Plus, we're moving back to the Elliot and Cassi secret!  I'm pretty excited for the rest of this book.

I wanted to ask you guys something important; but now, I can't remember what it was.  So, I guess I will ask about music instead.  Right now, I am in love with Bastille's song Flaws and all of OneRepublic's latest album.  Good stuff.  What're you guys listening to? 

Vote and Comment...best gets a dedication:)