You Won't Know Until You Try

As the days turned to weeks and weeks to month, something had shifted for Adam when it came to Kim, no longer did he feel conflicted when in her presence. He was no longer caught in internal war torn between love and hate.

It had been exactly a month since he changed her flat tire in the bitter cold, he could still hear the pain in her voice when she apologized to him...he shut her down and took off running.

Kevin had called him out on his behavior, while Kim made every attempt to talk to him, he chose to run.

For a while it worked, but the truth was he couldn't escape Kim and how deeply she had hurt him no matter how far or fast he ran.

Things had eased up for them both, they'd even had a few civil conversations but he'd never let her too close, he had built a fortress around his heart and his soul and he was bound and determined to keep her from getting in.

His love for her was as strong as it ever had been, he kept tabs on her and knew she wasn't doing much better than he was. He was thankful for her new partner Toby, he had her back much the same way Kevin had..and he was happily married. Adam was thankful for that.

He was supposed to be catching up with his CI's but he couldn't kick Kim from his thoughts, they had all hung out at Molly's the previous night and for the first time in a long time he had been happy. As much as he wish it didn't, hearing Kim laugh was music to his ears, the smile she wore almost sent him over the edge.

It had been the first time they talked without any awkwardness, sure it was mostly work related but it was nice to just talk with her.

Al tapped him on the shoulder, "You get anything?"

"Huh?" Adam cocked an eyebrow, it was obvious to Al the kid wasn't focused.

"Jesus, Adam. You need to get it together, did your CI's give you anything we could use?" Al rubbed his temples, it had already been a stressful day and it wasn't even noon yet.

"Oh" Adam cleared his throat, "nothing much yet, but I've got feelers out. Something will pop off soon"

"Talk to her" Al glared at him.

"Who?" Adam pretended as if he didn't have a clue, though he was certain Al wasn't buying it.

"Burgess. You need to get your head on straight and that won't happen until you talk to her" he rolled the newspaper up in his hand and headed towards the break room.

Adam knew Al was right, shit everyone had been telling him the same thing for days now. The idea of it scared the shit out of him.

"Burgess!" Platt called from behind the desk, "you're upstairs again"

Kim approached the counter, "Where's O'Neil?"

"He banged out, his brat is sick again" Platt slid some papers around, "I guess Maci couldn't take another day..something about state testing, so O'Neil is staying with the kid" she looked up from the desk, "instead of sticking you with a temp partner, I'm loaning you out to intelligence. You're welcome"

Kim wasn't sure how she felt about it, "Umm, alright" she said softly, "Ruzek?"

"Still upstairs" Trudy rested on her elbows, "Kim, that kid still loves you..I know you love him...what gives?"

"I broke his heart" Kim looked at her feet, "I'm not sure we can come back from that"

Trudy shrugged, "you won't know until you try"