[ fourteen ]

[edited 6 February 2017]

•••

The crash site was a mess.

The forest surrounding the destroyed ship was blackened and burnt; a large crater-like area filled with debris and death. The ship itself was nothing but a few charred remains scattered around the place. The people who had been on the ship were long dead, the only thing left of them being their burnt bones.

It made Raine's stomach twist whenever she spotted a body, their jaw opened wide in a silent scream. She sucked in air through her teeth, throwing a look to Bellamy. He was cradling his gun tightly to his chest, his expression unreadable as he surveyed the area.

"Clarke shouldn't be out here." Finn spoke from beside her, and she turned to look at him in distaste.

Clarke was standing a few meters away, her face stormy as she searched the wreckage. Clarke had been a mess after the ship had crashed, blubbering about how she needed to get to the ship and save her mother. It had taken hours to convince the distressed blonde that they would search the site in the morning – that it was too dangerous to go out at night.

So, the blonde sat quietly in the corner of the camp, closest to the gate, and watched the area where the ship had crashed. Raine was unsure whether or not she had slept, but based on the large bags under her eyes she guessed not.

"Clarke's mother was on this ship. She's searching for answers." Raven replied blankly, also digging through the debris. "We need to look for a black box or any kind of records that will tell us why the ship crashed."

"You saw it happen." Raine spoke up, causing Raven and Finn to turn around, "The parachutes never deployed."

"The Ark wouldn't send people down in a ship that wasn't fit." Raven argued.

"And the ship the hundred came down in?" Raine fired back.

"You survived, didn't you?" Raven sniffed, turning her back.

"Stay sharp." Bellamy called out, "The retaliation for what happened on the bridge isn't a matter of if, it's a matter of when."

"Can you blame them?" Finn grunted.

"No, I blame you." Bellamy responded smoothly.

"If you didn't bring guns–"

Raine cut Finn off, "If we didn't bring guns we'd all be dead."

Her eyes were narrowed at him in blunt hatred, and the boy struggled to think of a response. Bellamy spoke, "When the grounders come isn't important anymore. What is important is that we're ready for them. We're on our own now."

His gaze landed on Raine, and she offered him a half-hearted smile. The pair continued to search the debris, kicking blackened rocks aside and avoiding the countless bodies. They worked in a comfortable silence, until it was broken by Raven screaming out, "Clarke! Stop!"

Raine looked up to see Raven rushing towards Clarke, who was stumbling back from a broken piece of the ship with a hand over her mouth. Finn ran towards them, Bellamy and Raine close behind. Raven and Clarke were standing next to a broken rocket, staring at a thick pink liquid as it dripped and formed a puddle at their feet.