3.3 - Awkward Gathering

Start from the beginning

Stefan sent Damon a look but knew deep inside that it wouldn't work, "We don't need to get into that right now, Damon." His brother really was trying to stir up trouble where it wasn't needed. Stefan himself didn't realise that he had just fallen into a trap.

"Ah, you know, you're right Stefan." Damon faked a realization tone, "I'm sorry. The last thing I wanted to do was bring her up." Olivia knew he meant Lyla and she tried to ignore it – she knew hardly anything about this girl, other than she was someone from Stefan's past ... someone from when he was human.

But, to be fair, she hasn't made herself ask Stefan more about his past life as of yet. She's just been content with living in the now more than anything.

Damon Salvatore sure knew how to silence a room into an uncomfortable silence.

...

"Liv, I really am sorry for what I said back there." Caroline said to her best friend, drying the plate that had just been washed. After the awkward silence, Olivia had decided it was time to wash the dishes and Caroline offered to help. Caroline wasn't usually one to wash dishes and everything else – but she felt the really big need to apologise, she didn't understand why she said what she said earlier and it was really bugging her.

Olivia just sent her a small smile, understanding. "It's fine, Caroline." She waved it off, already having the gut feeling that Damon somewhat had something to do with it. And even if he wasn't – she HAD been keeping things from the blonde whose been a big part of her life. Elena may be her twin but sometimes Caroline had been more of a sister to her than anything. She could tell that Damon also really had no limits for either hurting humans or even compelling them.

If only she could get some vervain to protect the ones she loved – but where?

Then everyone she cares about would be protected from both Damon and herself if she becomes out of control – not that she expected too given how much she's progressed since meeting Stefan, but still – just in case.

Suddenly a voice sounded from behind them – one that Caroline was happy to hear but not so much for Olivia, "Well, aren't you two some very busy beavers." The voice was lingering between cocky and amused – making it all the more familiar.

Damon.

While Olivia didn't react in a pleasant way, Caroline smiled widely at the entrance of her boyfriend, turning away from the plate drying to look over at him. "Damon, you've come to help." She looked pleased with her own assumption.

Damon scrunched up his nose, "No, thanks." He muttered before looking straight into Caroline's eyes, putting her under his spell once again, "Why don't you go and hang around with the others." He compelled. The blonde blinked and a previous blank look turned into a smile, she placed the plate and the towel in her hands back onto the counter before making her way out of the kitchen.

Any minuscule happy feelings that Olivia had before Damon arrived were completely vanquished by now – her eyes turned into a glare, watching as Caroline was forced against her choices to leave the room. Now leaving her and Damon all alone. Her fist clenched and she sent him a look – he should have the decency to realise why she was acting this way.

Damon rolled his eyes, seeing the look before wiggling his pointed finger towards her, "Oh, don't get all judgy with me Stefan 2.0." He moved forwards to grab the wet plate from Olivia's hands before taking the towel Caroline had been using earlier to dry. He began to dry the plate for her.

Olivia never let her glare go, standing up for her best friend, "You can't just compel people whenever you feel like it." She knew she stood no chance against him, especially in a fight. Lexi once said that an older vampire nearly always wins in the strength category but one could win if a younger vampire was extremely angry and protective. She silently imagined in the back of her head that she snapped Damon's neck – it's not like he'll die from it. But when he wakes up ... god knows what would happen then.

"Ah, but I can Olivia." He corrected her, sending over a smirk, "I can do whatever I like and neither you nor my little brother can do anything about it. But-" He paused, holding up a hand to stop her from speaking when she was about to – his facial features dropped, the smirk losing its place and a serious one replaced it. It almost looked unnatural for a guy like Damon Salvatore. "-if it helps ... I haven't bitten Caroline once and I don't plan to either."

At that, Olivia's eyes narrowed even further, she couldn't tell if she should believe him or not. "And why should I even believe a word that comes out of your mouth?" She countered.

Damon just shrugged, "Believe or don't believe – it's up to you." He leaned against the counter, still looking at her. "Besides, like I said back when you first met me – you're feisty and I like that. You're good for my brother too, better than Lyla and that's something I don't vocally admit ... ever, especially when he might hear me from the next room." He knew Stefan wouldn't hear him, though – his brother was probably secretly checking over Caroline for any type for vampire marks he might have left on her.

Olivia was silent for a moment, but only because confusion was taking over a big part of her mind. Damon, from what Stefan had been telling her had basically switched off his emotional switch and that's why he acts like such a dick. But, what he's saying right now and if the words were true ... it sounded like he did have at least some part of his emotions still attached. She wasn't really sure if she should believe him or not and he hasn't really given her any incentive to trust him since their meeting. People were dead and Vicki had been in the hospital because of him.

Although, she did like the part about her being better for Stefan than the mysterious Lyla had been.

Within her own thoughts, Olivia turned towards the sink again and began washing more dishes. She could feel Damon's gaze on her, almost as if he were waiting for some reply after what he had just said.

But, she stayed silent.

"I'd quit cheerleading if I were you." Damon broke the silence, continuing the conversation after realizing he wasn't going to get any kind of response from his earlier mini-speech.

Olivia glanced over to him, holding out a newly washed plate for him to dry. If he was going to stay with her and continue to talk – he can dry for her. "And why do you think that?" She questioned back, even though it's something she's actually been considering ever since becoming a vampire. Handling the bloodlust was one thing but cheerleading just didn't feel fun anymore.

"Cause I saw you at practice." He answered back, indeed taking the plate she was holding out before drying it. "Pushing aside the glares you sent me and that urge to rip out everyone's throat - I could see how you really felt about being there at practice. You looked miserable." He placed the dry plate to the side before looking at her with a raised eyebrow, "You can deny it all you want but I know I'm right." He said cockily, gaining that smirk back.

Olivia should be scolding herself for even thinking about opening up to the guy but she continued the conversation against her better judgement.

She let out a breath, "I used to love it and it would always be the thing that got me excited for school." She admitted, shrugging her shoulders a little. "Things are different, though; too many things have changed." After scrubbing the next plate and rinsing it, she passed the object over to the older vampire. "Everything that used to matter just doesn't seem to now."

"So, don't let it." Damon gave a blunt reply, almost as if it were common sense. He placed the next plate to the side, waiting for the next one, "Quit, move on and the problem is solved. Ta-da!" Wiggling his fingers in the air which actually gained a small chuckle from Olivia.

"It's not that easy." Olivia shook her head, not wanting to take advice from a psychotic vampire.

"But it can be – you're just not letting yourself believe it."

Note: Yes, this is very short, I really should have put these two scenes in the last chapter shouldn't I?

The next chapter will hold the last of the episode. Another thing, I know that there are a lot of Delena fans (I am too) but this story focuses mainly on Olivia and Stefan with a few clips of Damon and Elena when needed.

Follow, Fav and Review!!!