[1] dancing embers

"It'd be useless for me to able to fly, if I couldn't show you the beauty of the sky."

****

o n e: dancing embers

Dusk fell as the sky grew redder and redder, before it finally turns darker into a purplish glow. The day chirps of birds being replaced by quiet howls and the passing wind sound like a lullaby coaxing us to sleep. The day has passed yet no one dared to ask who I am, who my name is, and any possible clues of my existence. Perhaps they knew that I was afraid, scared, terrified, and confused beyond belief.

We - me, Yona, and Yoon - decided to collect some firewoods to make a fire near our camp. Yoon went north while me and Yona went the opposite way. Hak insisted on leaving Yona with me and not alone, maybe they're lovers, considering that he calls her 'princess'.

"Hey," Yona starts, picking up a branch with length of her entire arm. "How old are you?"

I shrug, picking up some small branches before throwing it into an empty basket Yoon had supplied us with. "Probably older than you, but maybe not much. I'd say, twenty?"

Yona responds with a hum but then it grew quiet again, the static noise pouring wildly into my ears. I wince, everything felt new to me. I feel like an over-sized new born baby. Even the cold sensation creeping on the back of my spine felt entirely brand new. "Yona,"

"Hm?" She asks, looking up to me with her gentle mauve eyes. "What is it?"

"Do you think, I would remember who I am?" I ask her, my eyes stayed glued to the ground, while my shaking palms desperately grasping the silence. I need to know, I need to know, I need to know. "Do you think I had left a life behind?"

For a while none of the answers I was hoping flowed out of her mouth, even Yona never answered. It seems like she's thinking of the right thing to say. She seems to be a very thoughtful person, the way she copes up with so many men on a board. Of course, she got to be patient too.

And then, after we were back form the woods, when Yoon's long footsteps went ahead of us and I purposely shorten my steps just to seek for Yona's eyes. She answers.

"Maybe, maybe you left a life behind." She says, eyes travelling up to the starry sky, the stars gently reflecting on her rich amethyst orbs that are both full of answers and questions of her own. "But of course, you will remember. Have a faith in life and it will give you what you desire."

I sigh, contented of her answer but still seeking for more. "Have you ever felt, have you ever felt this kind of anxiety? Uncertainty? The feeling of lost?"

And with pure sadness and longing evident on her eyes, she answers with a gentle whisper. "Of course I do."

And that very night I had learned that Yona's eyes held so much more emotions than what one's eyes could express.

****

"Here is your share," Yoon hands me a bowl of boiling soup. Warm and it smells delicious - and from what I heard form Zeno - very delicious. I take the bowl carefully with both hands, making sure none of the liquid would spill and become a waste.

"Thank you." I bid him a small 'thank you' in which Yoon returns with a nod of his head, before turning back to serve the person after him - Kija. "It smells heavenly."