Chapter 5-The Tributes

ابدأ من البداية

I gag. "Not helping!" That must've been gross, his hostess probably smacked him for his manners. His mentor probably revolted, and his tribute partner must've gotten sick and thrown up her meal as well. I shiver. Then I vomit again

I take a rest once the train starts to move again. It feels nice and plush. I sink into the bed and feel the warm pillows. Soon Quorel comes in and shows me something.

He takes a remote from my desk drawer, which those drawers I thought were only for decoration. But I guess they're real.

He clicks a button, and the empty white wall turns into a beautiful scene of a sunset on a beach. The waves lap over the sands and retort then push in, retort then push it. A weirdly nice scent fills the air as the ceiling turns into a pink and orange colored sunlight, the sun fading below the horizon. He tells me I can change it, and hands me the remote with only one button. I change the setting and all i see is starry skies. I change it again and I'm in dense forest. Then I change it again and I'm in a field of plants and apple trees. I feel the wind and see it blow across the plants around me as they turn sideways and follow the winds direction.

I find it roomy this way and leave it on. I hear just wind and feel just wind. The air smells crisp and nice, like at home, and I can find my place here. But not for long. Tomorrow is Capitol day, and it's only the morning.

I nap then go down for lunch for these things called sandwiches, I have a veggie burger...yeah I don't know either...and it's just vegetables between two slices of bread. I finish it but only one, because I'm only used to the smallest portions so I go slowly.

After breakfast we watch the Reapings. First comes District One, where a girl named Belle and a boy named Luxor volunteer. Ugh, the names they give those district one people are disgusting. District two is a girl named Athena and a boy named Maximus. They both volunteer and look like brutes. District Three has slender, emaciated tributes, but you can tell they're smart. The girl tribute from district four is dressed in a fancy blue dress with shells decorating the waist, and in her hair, like the flower in mine, she wears a net that goes down to her shoulders. It makes no sense but much more than Capitol people's fashion sense. We get down to district five where a giant boy tribute has volunteered. His name is Jasper. He is eighteen. In district nine another giant boy tribute is involuntarily reaped. Then I see the district elevens. I am reaped and I see my stunned face, my eyes so wide. I wonder what the other tributes watching this think about my reaction. Those district twos must be laughing their heads off at me. I am slow walking up the stage, but then I smile. Cashatra smiles and says now for the men, scrambling around for a slip in the men's glass ball, but you can tell I'm preoccupied with my own fear. I hear Natiel's name and he joins me, wearing a poker face. Cashatra smiles once more, and were exited away. Luckily it doesn't show the Justice Building shots and goodbyes because mine is embarrassing. Still I want to see Natiel's wanting to know what he said. He's never really talked much to me so I wonder about him. Maybe he's setting a low profile so the other tributes think he's tough. Smart move. Then we cut to the district twelve, a layer of coal dust settled over the poor mining town. It looks cold even in the heat of the summer and two tributes who are having breakdowns once their names are called are reaped and sent in. Then the Capitol seal and it's over.

"I looked...frightened," I say.

"In person, you looked strange," admits Cashatra. But Quorel claps.

"Bravo bravo."

I wonder what his bravos are for.

But all I know is one thing.

Careers.

Deadly.

Scary.

They're going to kill district twelve first.

Then kill me.

But let's not forget I have to survive here.

What should I do about that girl Athena? She looked prepared to rip our throats out.

Kill her. No I can't. She is lean and fit, probably faster than me. But I have long legs I can run. But she seems good and healthy. She can survive. My first move is make allies, got it?

But I'm not sure they all look deadly.

Maybe I could butter up the Careers, but I have to have a skill. I got it! I can climb trees and throw knives.

But I can't throw knives.

Spears?

Javelin?

The odds are not in my favor.