Thieves in the Cold

Start from the beginning

Regina and Robin sat in silence for several minutes and Regina began to shiver. They had been stuck up on the lift for a while and the wind was beginning to blow harder, biting Regina's exposed skin.

"Here," Robin took his scarf off and wrapped it around Regina, covering most of her face to protect it from the wind.

Regina inhaled the forest-y scent of Robin's scarf and decided not to argue with him for once in her life. Robin put an arm around Regina and pulled her closer, trying to ward off the cold.

"So how did Zelena meet Arthur?" Robin was running out of questions to ask, but he knew both he and Regina needed a distraction from the cold.

"He was doing research on some old sword and Zelena was studying for a math final in the library last year. Zelena said something about how anything would be easier than Calculus and Arthur asked if she wanted to help him find a missing piece of a sword that might not even exist."

"I think fixing the sword would be easier," Robin muttered, making Regina laugh. "So how come Zelena has a beautiful accent like mine?"

Regina rolled her eyes. "I wouldn't call it beautiful, but she studied abroad in England for two years and sort of picked up the accent." Regina lifted her head up off of Robin's shoulder. "How about you, Locksley? What brought you to America?"

"Everyone always told me to study abroad if I could. So I applied for several colleges in America, and I got in."

The lift jerked forwards and Regina grabbed onto Robin's wrist. It began to move and Regina's grip loosened.

"Once you exit the lift, please leave the slope area. The slopes will reopen in a few hours."

Regina's eyes followed the lift exit as it got closer. She and Robin slid off of the lift. Regina took off Robin's scarf and threw it at him. "I believe this is yours, thief."

Robin narrowed his eyes. "Clover-Eater."

"Officer Locksley."

"Congresswoman Mills."

"Shut up!"

"Never!"

Regina turned away, forcing a smile back, as she went off to find Emma and Zelena.

~

Back in the cabin, Emma made hot cocoa with cinnamon for everyone. Regina brought the hot drink to her lips, thankful for the warmth after being stuck on the ski lift.

"So you were stuck with Robin?" Emma asked.

Regina nodded.

"Not as annoying as you originally thought, is he?"

Regina shrugged. "Guess not."

"You two would make an adorable couple!" Mary Margaret squealed.

"No we wouldn't!" Regina tried to argue, but she felt her cheeks turning a dark shade of pink.

"It's okay. If he breaks your heart, I'll skin him alive," Zelena promised.

"We are not dating!" Regina hissed.

"Well you should be." Mary Margaret took a cautious sip of her hot cocoa.

~

When the slopes reopened, everyone headed back outside except for Regina and Robin, who had had enough cold for one day. Regina rummaged through Emma's suitcase before triumphantly pulling out a package wrapped in plastic. "Aha!"

"What is it?" Robin had a blanket wrapped around him while Regina was wearing a thick sweater and the fuzziest pair of sweatpants she had brought.

"Microwave popcorn," Regina smirked. "Buttery, salty, and most importantly warm."

Two minutes later, Regina was happily eating the popcorn she had stolen from Emma while Robin paced back and forth. Regina closed her eyes for a moment, trying to get the warmth from the popcorn to spread throughout her body when she felt something being draped across her shoulders. She opened her eyes to see Robin putting his scarf back on her.

"You can keep it if you want," he offered. "And I was, uh, sorta wondering if you wanted to maybe go out with me sometime?"

"Sure," Regina found herself saying. She held the bag of popcorn up so Robin could reach it. "Popcorn?"

Robin reached his hand into the bag. "Thanks. D'you think Emma will be mad at you for stealing this?"

"Not if she doesn't find out. Besides, I thought you were the thief in this relationship?"

"I'm not a-- wait, relationship?"

Regina shrugged. "Technically. And yes, you are a thief."

"What did I steal?"

"My heart."

Robin smiled and sat down next to Regina. He held out his blanket so Regina could join him underneath it. "Well, you've stolen my heart too. So maybe we're both thieves."

"I think I could live with that."

Robin kissed Regina's cheek. "And I guess if I'm a thief, I get to steal kisses."

"Not if I steal them first."

Before Robin could fully comprehend what Regina had said, she leaned over and pressed her lips against his. Robin ran a hand through Regina's hair that was still damp from the snow that had melted on it. Regina broke the kiss and Robin brushed his nose against hers.

"I think I judged you too quickly," Regina whispered softly before kissing Robin again.