Six

It was a sunny Tuesday afternoon, and Connor and I walked into the Starbucks just around the corner from our school. It was decently busy in there, not that much of a suprise considering how outrageous the heat was these days.

Connor walked up to the line, squinting his eyes at the menu. I let out a laugh looking at him, which he noticed. "What?" He chuckled.

"I'm guessing you don't come here very often?" I asked, crossing my arms in the front of me.

"It's that obvious eh?"

I laughed again, I wasn't able to help. After a few minutes of Connor asking questions like 'what the hell is a grande' and 'why are the names of these drinks so confusing' he decided on a very berry hibiscus, and I got my usual; a chocolate chip frappacino.

We made our way over to a table in the corner by the window, where the sun was shining. Connor practically threw himself into the seat, looking completely exhausted, mentally and physically.

This was the first time that it was just us together in what felt like forever. Connors hockey career was still soaring to new heights. He was continuing to break records and win awards, and he wasn't even in the NHL yet, despite all the talk about it. The otters were feeling the pressure to get their act together if they wanted to make the playoffs, and the result of that was Connor and I not seeing each other that much. Which we actually did well with, and when we finally got to spend time together, it was always cherished.

Connor leaned across the table and grabbed my hand, holding it in his as he rambled on about hockey. I could tell he was distracted as he kept looking directly past me, unsure of what was so interesting and not wanting to turn around, I asked "What's going on? Why do you keep looking behind me?"

He continued to stare before leaning  even closer to me, his hand still in mine.

"There's a group of girls over there, and they keep giggling and trying to take pictures of me" he whispered.

"Of you?" I said louder than intended.

He looked down at his drink as he took a big sip, nodding his head as he did so. I whipped my head around, not seeing any girls giggling, and just as I turned to Connor to ask what the hell he was talking about, I heard an ear piecing screech too close to me for my liking.

"Oh my god, your Connor McDavid!" One girl practically yelled, turning to her friends who were all astoneshed.

Connor let out an embarrassing yet shy laugh, "Yeah, that's me".

I felt him glance at me out of the corner of my eye as I kept my eyes on the four girls. They looked our age, extremely short and skinny, wearing little to no clothing.

"Could we like, get a picture with you?" One girl with long red hair asked as all her friends waited for Connors response.

"Yeah, yeah sure, here uh, Holl could you take it?" I nodded at him as I grabbed one of the girls iPhone and waited for them to get situated. They obviously all wanted to be next to Connor and had to fix their hair first.

"There" I said handing the redhead her phone back after taking three pictures.

"Thanks" she said through a mouthful of gum, not even bothering to look at me.

I sat back down as Connor and the girls said goodbye, watching them walk away all continuing to giggle and crowd over the redheads phone to look at the photo, Connor sat back down in front of me, his face all flushed.

"Mr. Popular eh?" I chinned while playing with my straw in the remains of my drink.

"It's happening more and more each day" he said in an embarrassed way, looking out the window.

"Just you wait".

Connor looked at me, his face still blushed and he gave me his famous smile.

"Ready to go?" He asked standing up and stretching, his shirt lifting up as he did so, revealing the top part of his Calvin Kleins and showing off his biceps.

"Mhmm" I mumbled through a mouth of whip cream, trying extremely hard not to stare.

As I walked over to the trash to throw out my drink and headed back to Connor, who was fixing his messy hair under his hat, I noticed a guy and girl, once again probably our age, taking a picture of him.

Connors back was towards them, and he wrapped his arm around me as he lead the way back to the car parked on the busy Erie street. I couldn't help but think that after spending a mear 20 minutes in a local Erie Starbucks, Connor was clearly recognized (and praised) by many, what would it be like in a few more weeks? In a different city? If he made the NHL?

I didn't know, but it was pretty cool, I guess, knowing that your boyfriend is a big deal in Erie, but hey, they considered him a "God" here. Who knew were this would go or how it play out, but day by day, Connor was becoming a bigger sensation as we spoke, and I don't think he realized it.

But with the NHL draft fast approaching, and him most likely going to be the first overall pick, this was something that was going to be happening a lot more often.