Chapter Twenty One

I sat in Mel's office and listened with joy as she explained I had some requests from other clients. They'd heard through the grapevine about the success of Ben's campaign and they liked my approach. Well okay then, go girl.

It had been two days since I saw Ben at lunch. I remembered that he wanted to talk to me about a new campaign and I gathered my lady balls and called his office. "Hey girl, he's not here. He decided to go to the conference in New York."

"Oh yes of course. Mel left earlier today for that as well. She'll be gone for almost an entire week." And allow me some breathing room.

Val told me that Ben never mentioned anything about another campaign but he hasn't stopped talking about the results the current campaign was getting. "Since my boss is gone and your boss is gone and it's Friday - what do you say we sneak out early?" she suggested. "I think we can make it for happy hour."

"I think that's the best idea you've ever had," I told her. "Whoever gets there last buys the first round."

It turned out I was the last one there and the first round was on my buck. Val was easy to get along with; we talked and laughed and it was a great way to decompress after a hectic work week. I looked around the busy bar and felt myself stiffen. "Crap on a cracker," I muttered under my breath.

Val snorted into her drink. "Pardon?"

The familiar face across the room hadn't noticed me yet, thank the good lord, but there he was, buying drinks at the bar. Apparently he could afford drinks, but not groceries. I quickly told Val my horrendous date story when, damn, my luck had run out. He'd spotted us. "Hey, sexy. Long time no see! How have you been, we should get together and catch up."

I looked at him like he had two heads. "Oh yeah, I'm going to be busy that day, sorry."

"But I didn't tell you what day."

"I'm going to be busy every day. Forever."

"Okay, who's your friend?" Yep, and I let this guy put his dick in me. Good job self, pat on the fucking back.

The next week I was focused only on work. I felt like I needed a dating detox. I even deleted one of the apps. Believe it or not! I could have sworn I was getting carpal tunnel in my thumb from swiping. I lived and breathed work putting everything I had into these new campaigns when finally the day came that I was able to go home for Mimi's big birthday bash.