• Part 18 •

"Gyaaaah!" Igneel screamed in anguish, and the tears that have been sliding down my cheeks continued to so, against my will, for an entire minute. Several of Zeref's minions had him strapped against an intimidating machine that functioned for the purpose of electric shock therapy. Slowly turning up the voltage, they seared his flesh with a hot iron, slicing his rough skin with knives until he cried out in agony.

My back, for one, had been burnt in multiple places. The hair matted against my scalp was sticky with blood, for they had yanked my hair to the point that all thoughts of fighting back completely vanished inside my head. Deep, purple bruises around my neck and arms resulted from their rapid movements from when they had choked me. Nevertheless, the worst wound printed on my body was a poorly-bandaged wound on my thigh, which I vaguely wished would bleed out. Exhausted, I turned my head by the slightest angle to peer out at the toolbox, where the items Zeref had used to torture me and Igneel were located in. I was not sure how much time had passed, but it felt as if we had already been in here for years.

The piercing resonance of the heavy door's metallic scratching against the concrete foundation made me cringe in distraught. As the door slowly creaked open, I shut my eyes as my mind drifted into space, and I found myself in an empty void praying for both mercy and death. Although a large portion of my heart screamed that it would be better to die, the small, remaining piece whispered that it would be alright to have hope. I opened my eyes to narrow slits, heaving an involuntary sob when I realized that it was Zeref who passed through the intimidating door. The corners of his lips rose to a noticeable smirk as his ears caught my vulnerable whimpers. I cursed myself internally, for I had gifted him with the one thing I had always wished to avoid.

Satisfaction.

I watched as his minions flicked a switch that eventually calmed the machine. In response, Igneel's head fell to a slump, and I could not even tell if he was breathing at this point. Zeref trailed his eyes down my head and moved from side to side as they peered at each of my eyes with an intense gaze. He studied my expression with pursed lips and an evil glint in his eyes.

"My, what fun this has been," he sighed contentedly and plucked one of the items of the bloody box. He spun it around in both hands, leaving dark trails of blood with every movement.

"This is far from my version of fun," I spat angrily, fear seeping out through my tough façade. Zeref chuckled in response, the horrible sound echoing across the room.

"Isn't it sad? The end is almost here." He murmured playfully, his lips morphing into a pout. My heart leapt in my throat. Though anyone could have guessed that death was leering around the corner. I was frail at this point, holding onto life by wisps of string. It was beginning to feel as if my struggles had been worthless. They won't find me, I thought.

This time I was so well hidden that my allies had missed me but somehow... I had still walked right into the jaws of the predator.

"So much for rule number one..." I mumble to myself. My heart squeezed at the thought of my old rule. By the stars, if I had the chance, I would have immediately accepted an offer to go back. Lisanna and her heeled minions would have been a paradise compared to my situation now.

"It has been quite fun, playing with you. I can see why Natsu chose to mess with you," he paused for a moment, taking a breath before continuing, "You're an interesting one. Certainly nothing extraordinary but you certainly aren't boring either." He smiled, amused at his own words. I sat silently, refusing to speak to him. He creeped closer to me like a panther, making my heart pound faster against my bony ribcage.

He leaned down until my dull brown eyes stared back into his steely black ones. He reached a hand up to my cheek, slowly moving the other to cup my face. Then before I knew it, malice overtook his once playful features as he applied a shocking amount of pressure beneath my jaw.