21 | ❝ WHAT NOW ❞

"So

"So . . . what is this place?" Grace asked hesitantly, trying to fill the uncomfortable silence that had fallen over them.

Kai shrugged, his eyes dancing over every inch of the room in an attempt to keep from staring at the girl in front of him. 

Grace nodded slowly, lines of confusion still etched across her face, and moved to step around Kai's firmly rooted body. His hand shot out instinctively and wrapped around her wrist the moment she shifted from one foot to the other. His grip was lose, but his eyes were hard as he stared down at her.

"Where are you going?"

Grace stiffened, suppressing a shiver, and cast her eyes to her trapped arm. Her lips parted but the words her tongue held stayed locked away, leaving her speechless. 

Thoughts tumbled through her mind at breakneck speed, flying by too quickly for her to understand most of them, though a few did stick out from the rest. Namely, she thought it was remarkably odd that her skin seemed to burn where his brushed it, and that both of them seemed to have stopped breathing.

"Kai," she started softly, with what air she had left in her lungs.

Hearing his name fall from her lips seemed to pull him out of the trance he had slipped into and he snapped to attention. He glanced down at his hold on her soft skin and realized she was waiting for him to let go. He let her hand slip through his fingers and drew his arms back to his sides, muttering an apology as he did. It was odd for him to relinquish control so easily, or at all for that matter, but for some reason the look on her face was enough to stop him cold regardless of what he was used to.

Grace drew in a deep breath as his eyes focused keenly on hers, tremors rippling through her unsteady legs. Pale pink morning light spilled through the east facing window and coated Kai's cheeks in a ghostly glow that threatened to take Grace's carefully caught breath away. She shook her head and pulled her eyes away from his captivating features and focused on the still open door behind him. 

"I thought this was going to be my last sunrise." She whispered slowly, still not turning to face him.

"Apparently not." Kai mused after a moment of silent consideration. His eyes flickered away from Grace and settled on the swirling watercolor art in the sky.

"I'm going outside." She said as she moved swiftly towards the door, not waiting for him to stop or follow her.

Kai nodded absently, trying to ignore the thoughts bubbling in his head, reminding him that the clouds looked like they were dripping with fresh blood.