18 | ❝ ALONE WITH YOU ❞

Kai wanted answers.

He needed answers, but the girl was clearly in no state to give him any. There was a simple solution, and he knew it. Every fiber of his being wanted to carve the information out by any means possible, but he stopped himself.

What happened with his family still haunted his dreams, and though he didn't regret it, and would do it all over again if he had too, he wasn't sure he wanted any new material for his nightmares if it wasn't absolutely necessary. So, he took a deep breath, then another, and he waited for her to speak on her own time.

Grace could barely breathe. The stranger was drowning her under his calculating stare, towering over he like he could never be moved, but she couldn't help but notice there were cracks in the wall before her. The waver that had slipped in his voice, his trembling fingers before they'd been shoved into the pockets of his jeans. He wasn't completely stone, and that was where her sliver of bravery came from. She pulled herself to her feet and spoke before she lost the nerve.

"Tell me who you are first. How are you here too?"

Stunned into truth, the words slipped out before he could stop them.

"Kai. I don't know how long I've been here."

Grace nodded and looked away. "It's just us here then, isn't it? There's no one else."

Kai shook his head. There was no need to say what they both already knew.

They were the only exceptions in a world devoid of any life at all.