The Girl Who Reads Emotions

Alex followed Hamlin and Rose into the school. "What are we going to do now? They said they're coming but they didn't say when." "Hush, child. The walls have ears." Rose said. Alex became confused. "The walls have ears? What are you talking about?". He then noticed that there was an owl outside watching them. "Who's owl is that?" he inquired. Rose stayed silent. Alex saw the expression on his mother's face, and decided to keep quiet too.

After a few turns in the hallways, Hamlin muttered, "Tevbel mirnisu 3 mofushuna Rose, Alex, Hamlin." Alex recognized the invisibility spell, tevbel mirnisu, but he didn't know what did Hamlin say after that. After one more turn, the three of them ended up at a dead end. "Why are we at this dead end?" Alex tried to ask, but Hamlin put a finger up to his lips, gesturing for Alex to stay quiet. Rose muttered quietly, "Bewakrick benarrire," then walked straight into the wall, and disappeared behind it. Alex was surprised. "Where-" then he felt a push behind him, and fell onto the wall, went through it, and came out on the other side.

Alex looked around. He was in another hallway. This hallway was much more narrow than the ones in the school. He walked a few steps forward, and saw that there were a few doors marked "DO NOT ENTER" and "NO ENTRY" on them. All but one, that is. The door without any sign on it was strange. It seemed..... Hairy. Alex reached out his hand to touch the door, when Hamlin came through the wall and shouted, "Do not touch that door unless you want your arm bitten off!" Alex stopped, and realized that there was a little, cute face on the door. It looked like a dog's face. Alex didn't see how could it hurt him, so he asked, "It's so cute, how can it hurt me?". He tried to pet the dog-door.

Right before his fingers touched the dog's face, Hamlin rushed at him and pushed him onto the ground. "Hey, what was that for!?" Alex shouted. That's when he realized that the cute dog face has turned into another face, one that looked like an ogre's. "NO! I was so close to being free! I hate you, Hamlin!" the ogre snarled. When it spoke, it's breath reeked of garlic and rotten food, much like a dirty, old toilet. Then, the door reverted to the cute puppy face again. Alex was in shock. Hamlin stood up, and pulled Alex up. "The ogre was cursed to be a door," he explained, "Now, let's get going. Your mother should be waiting for us." Alex nodded, and followed him down the hall, and stopped at a door that Alex hasn't noticed before. But, this was no ordinary door. The door knob had a mouth on it. The mouth said, "Wand, please." Hamlin took out his wand, and placed it in the mouth. The mouth licked the wand and then it said, "Paul Hamlin. You may enter. Please remove your wand." When Hamlin removed his wand from the mouth, Alex heard the sound of a door unlocking. The door swung open.

"Ugh- no- ewwwww," said Hamlin, looking at his wand. It had saliva all over it. "I really hate the way of entering this room...." he muttered, using a tissue to wipe the saliva off. "Hamlin, Alex, please hurry." said a voice from inside the room. When they entered, Alex saw Rose sitting with another student. She had long, blonde, hair that was tied in a loose ponytail. Her eyes were brown. Rose said, "Alex, I would like you to meet Sylvie Starling. She's 16, and she has a unique ability. She can tell what emotions anyone is feeling the moment she looks at them." Alex shook Sylvie's hand. "Hi, I'm Alex. Nice to meet you." Sylvie looked at Alex, tilted her head a little, then said, "You're scared, excited, yet confused at the same time. What's troubling you?" Alex was impressed. "Wow, you really can. That's amazing." Rose cleared her throat. "Now, kids. I've brought the both of you here today to discuss about something important." She looked around, then continued, "He's back. The man who has brought terror to our land once, he plans to do it again." Alex asked, "Who? My dad?" Rose shook her head. "No Alex, your father works for him. It's someone far more dangerous." Sylvie gasped. "Do you mean-" but before she could finish, Rose interrupted, "The Lord of Darkness, Eldritch Alabaster."