Keveridge

I was back in high school when

We were talking late, from ten

Staying up to three am - just friends

It was Friday morning, 2AM to be exact. I was tucked up in my bed, in the pitch dark. The only lighting coming from my phone which was held in the air above my face, flooding the room with a dim white light. I was talking to Kier over text, as usual. He's been my best friend since primary school; we have stuck together through thick and thin until now, our final year of secondary school. My phone buzzed above me.

KierKamp; what ya doing?

I smiled as I read it; he's asked me this at least three times since we began talking. Not that I mind, it keeps the conversation going. Kier is around the same age as me, me being the oldest of us, only by a few months though, but I remind him often; just to rub it in. His name is Kier Kemp; yet since beginning high school the bullies (or Cunts as Kier calls them) have called him Kier Kamp, or Camp to mock him. They claim he acts 'gay', I don't see it. We found it quite funny because he's the straight one of us too; I came out to him a few years ago, and he was so supportive. The name has stuck with him since; although, I'm the only one he lets call him that without wanting to hit me. He never treated me differently, unlike my parents who have acted harshly to me since I told them, but I don't mind, whenever we have an argument I stay the night at Kier's.

Me; nothing really, just talking to you. What about you?

I clicked send and it only took a minute until I received a reply, Kier was a quick typer.

KierKamp; planning Jacob's death, he obviously has a death wish

I giggled quietly, as to not wake my parents in the next room. Jacob was the school bully and yesterday he decided it was funny to steal my school uniform after P.E and deface my locker with hurtful comments. Yes, I found them hurtful. Not that I'd tell Kier that, I hid it well around him but it did hurt. A lot. They defaced it with words such as; fat, ugly, emo and so on. The 'Emo' didn't hurt as much, I mean me and Kier aren't exactly what people would call 'normal'. Wearing Skinny Jeans instead of Dress trousers, converse instead of shoes and wearing a thick layer of eyeliner around our eyes aren't what people class as 'normal' these days. Kier gets called 'Emo' often so that doesn't bother me, but what does hurt is being called fat and ugly. I know I'm quite chubby compared to other people but am I really fat? I know I'm not exactly the most handsome guy in school but am I ugly? Compared to Kier, I guess I am. Kier is perfect, he's very slim, although he eats more than anyone I know. He has short brown hair with a long fringe that he repeatedly flicks to the right with his head, gorgeous honey coloured eyes, which when he wears eyeliner; I find it impossible to look away. If you haven't guessed it already, I admire my best friend, a lot. Much more than any friend should.

Me; leave it kier, it doesn't bother me

I lied to him; I always did whenever bullies are involved. I didn't want people to know how weak I really am, especially not him. I turned over onto my left side, staring out into the darkness until I felt the familiar buzz of my phone.

KierKamp; you can't lie to me, Beveridge. I know the words on the locker upset you.

I sighed as I read it; I should have known Kier would have caught on sooner or later.

Me; Okay, maybe they did hurt a bit, but I'm fine. I don't want you getting excluded over a few words on a locker.

KierKamp; ...fine.

I smiled, noticing my victory over the situation. I really didn't want Kier to get excluded; he already had two warnings on his file due to getting into fights. If he got one more he'd get excluded from the school and then I would be alone. I don't think I would survive for long without Kier by my side. I sent him a ":)" in reply and noticed the lack of reply. I guess the conversation is over for tonight. I checked the time and noticed it was almost 3AM. I had to be up in four hours to get ready for school, so I better get some sleep. I placed my phone on the floor beside my bed and snuggled into the covers further. Closing my eyes, I was awaiting sleep to take over me when I heard a familiar continuous buzzing from the right of me. I grabbed my phone and noticed Kier was calling me.