Chapter Seven

Pain was persistent in every step I took, every breath I inhaled and then exhaled, constantly reminding me of the multiple injuries that decorated the back section of my body.

Heavily leaning against Chris, we hobbled forward, blood warmly trickling down by legs, only tattered remains of my trousers covering my limbs. As well as my injuries, Chris sported his own wounds; his balance was off and we continually weaved, eyes glazed as blood objected to stop flowing from the deep gash in his head.

Dusk greeted us as we trudged and trudged, the dying light of day decreasing, heralding fear, distinguishing sun as well as our energy and hope. How much longer had we to go?

Our progress was painfully slow, although we begged for haste, yet our bodies prohibited anything faster than a feeble stagger. I wondered what the Twins were doing, the return of their companions non-existent.

We were meant to be back ages ago. Our task was simple: grab food from store before returning, without any tragedy, without any major happenings. Would our wounds be able to be treated?

Did anyone even know how to perform medical treatment? Apprehension swelled in my chest at my negative thoughts.

I stumbled, crying out as I nearly fell to the ground. "Are you alright?" Chris tiredly asked, his hair more disheveled than normal.

"I-I think we should stop soon." I murmured. Was I a coward for suggesting that? But Chris only nodded in agreement, hazy optics scouring the landscape for any possible shelter. Seeing a possible destination, we once again embarked. I followed his gaze with keen eyes, desperate to rest and sleep. I saw a derelict building, grey and streaked with dust and muck, yet it seemed sturdy enough. It hadn't crumbled to the ground, anyway. It would do.

Soon, we arrived, our vision limited due to the oncoming reign of night. Already, the moon glowed in ethereal silver, a few stars faintly emitting a determined glow. Unable to make out Chris's features anymore, I gratefully crossed the threshold into the old establishment, a shiver cruising along my spine.

"This will do. Just sleep anywhere. I'll take first watch..." Chris murmured, his words interrupted by a yawn.

"If that's fine with you... Wake me up in a few hours - you need rest, too." Briefly, I saw the nod that indicated his confirmation, before I sank to the floor. I didn't notice the way the hard concrete hurt my spine, the fleeting shooting pain that was a result of the impact. All I was aware of was the sleep tugging at my eyelids, pulling them down, and the oblivion I fell into...

--------------------

A faint prodding stirred me from my slumber, and I blinked wearily, tired optics greeted by the sight of Chris's stubbled features staring down on me. From the close contact I could make out the bloodshot lines intertwining with his irises, sporadic bursts of red amongst a calm sea of blue-grey. Instead of directing me to the place I would sit my watch, he just helped me to my feet, gentle not to disturb the wounds on my legs. Confused, I obliged, yet wondered what he was doing. Had we been caught?

But no, the answer was much simpler - it was daytime. He had taken my watch, subsequently staying up for the whole night.

"Jesus, you must be exhausted." I breathed. "You can sleep now, we can always lose a few more hours, it'll be fine..." I hastily added, inclining my head back toward the confines of where I had slept, squinting.

"No. We need to go. I'm fine, honestly. It's the least I could do after you saved our lives." He retorted, raising an eyebrow in an impatient manner. However, the coddling act was lost in the blur of fatigue that seemingly surrounded him. His posture was slouched, eyes bleary, head still encrusted with dried blood. He looked positively undead.

"No. Sleep - now. You're the hero, without you we would've been shot at a lot more times, maybe one would've been fatal."

"So what? I shot a few times at the enemy. When it ordered us to stand down and I refused, I thought that was it. I didn't try and look for a way out, or think about all my sins and hope to atone them and all that religious stuff. I was just frozen, paralysed. I was practically asleep, accepting my ultimate fate." Chris paused to shake his head in a despairing manner, another yawn spreading open his jaw. "I'm a coward, basically. Yet you took us out the line of fire. You woke me up and alerted me to the fact that I was alive and we could continue to breath. No more arguing."

I contemplated his words. "But I wasn't planning to push you. I just... Did it. Instinct, beginners luck. I'm not brave, or heroic, and you're sure as heck not a coward. Please sleep."

He scowled, losing his patience completely. He seemed to sweet and diplomatic, yet he was used to not being questioned. He was a true Leader, if a tad overly headstrong due to his life as a commander. I wondered what his story was - what had led him to being a Freedom Fighter? "Don't question me. We're leaving. Now."

I opened my mouth to object, but I saw the irritated look in his eyes. Even if he did get some sleep here, it would lose us time getting back. Robyn and Jay must be losing their minds in worry, and we both had medical faults we both needed seeing to. Although sleep would be vastly beneficial for my companion, it would make sense to get back. Anyway, I didn't want to cross him. He was scary when he was angry. "Alright, alright. Lead the way."

The angered edge to his gaze retaliated slightly, faint relief registering instead, mingling amongst the dreary exhaustion. Inclining his head in a nod, I took up position by leaning on him once again. We began hobbling, hobbling. Navigating our way back in the frigid air, constantly shivering, constantly wincing and crying out. But soon, the familiar, hidden shape of the tube tunnel greeted us. We were home.