Chapter Five

Butterflies Don't Lie is now available! http://www.amazon.com/Butterflies-Dont-Lie-B-R-Myers/dp/1771081627/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462882976&sr=8-1&keywords=amazon+com+br+myers+butterflies+dont+lie+books

As I dug through the shrimp heads, a memory surfaced. In grade two, Trent Fraser had thrown up in the afternoon, right before creative writing. I'll spare you the gross details, but let's just say he had hotdogs for lunch that day, a lot of hotdogs...and grape juice, apparently.

Nothing causes a stampede of screaming kids like someone barfing. Ms. Ritter almost lost her cameo brooch, she ran so fast to get the janitor. While all the kids stood clear with our back up against the wall, Blaine stayed with Trent patting his back.

Even as a little kid, Blaine had the making of a nice guy. I looked into my bucket of shrimp head wishing he were here now, certain that he would be comforting me.

The back door to the kitchen slammed open. "I'm back," a voice sang out. I recognized the most popular girl from high school at once. Chloe Rhodes glided into the kitchen looking windswept and smelling of fresh flower and sunshine.

I' not sure how someone can smell like sunshine, but she did. Her long, black hair was in a slick ponytail. She always wore something gold, and she was always smiling—seriously, a toothpaste commercial could break out at any moment. She was a real -life version of Princess Jasmine from Aladdin.

She was fashionable, chatty , and rumoured to have several college guys vying for her heart. In short, the exact opposite of me. She was also a grade above, which , according to the high school social rule book, mean I knew everything about her and she didn't even know my name,.

Cylde's face broke into a smile, transforming him in a friendly, appreciable, almost completely sane guy. "Chloe!" With his hands full of utensils, he gave her a one-armed hug. My mouth dropped open at the transformation. Loretta even grinned. The she said, "our favourite busgirl returns."

Chloe laughed and tossed her sleek ponytail over hes shoulder. Her gold hoop earring dangled. She smiled at How-hole, then reached up and playfully flicked a piece of blue hair poking out from under his cap. "Wow!" Her eyes sparkled. "Your eyes are so blue they're almost the same colour as hour hair!"

Loretta and Clyde nodded with amused expressions, as if this struck them a s charming news. How-hole actually blushed. Chloe giggled, and then she turned, finally noticing me.

"This is Kelsey," Loretta started. "she's one of the new staff this year. "

"Busgirl," I blurted out. "I'm supposed to be one of the busgirls."

It was quiet for a few dreadful seconds. Chloe simply lifted a shoulder, but there was was a hint of a smile. I stuck out my hand hoping she couldn't tell it was shaking. Her eyes trailed down and her expression froze. A shrimp head was stuck on my pinkie.

"Oh," she said, still looking at my fingers, as if she was talking to the shrimp. "When you're finished here, you should come pickup your uniform." She backed up a bit, probably worried my fish smell would drown out her sunshine. She left through the swinging door into the dinning room.

I looked pleadingly at Loretta. Even she could tell I was no help in the kitchen. She flicked her cotton towel at me. "Get out of here, baby cakes ."