Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve- His Majesty's Choice

"How long was the king awake?" Bianca asked Arwen after she instructed the servants to set the best food they had for dinner.

"Just under two hours," Arwen answered, her head and eyes downcast.

"And what did you two talk of?" Bianca asked perfunctorily.

"Many things. About each other and our lives and tastes." Arwen answered again, this time slowly looking up. Her mother had her back to her, but she wasn't tense with anger. In fact, her shoulders were relaxed and her breathing was slow and calm.

"Good. Did he seem interested with you? And I mean more than just your body. Did he pay attention to your words?"

"I think so. We were both quite enamored with each other," Arwen replied dreamily, thinking of the king again.

"Good. You did your part. Now, during supper I need you to stay silent, and let me do mine." Arwen looked at her mother, confused as to what her part was. She just shrugged and helped her mother light candles around the dining room.

They lit a mixture of mignonette, tuberose and ylang-ylang herb candles for irresistibility, yemonja root candles to convince unwilling hearts, and small witch-hazel candles to strengthen the powers of the other candles. Her mother was going to offer the king a decision to make, and she was hoping the candles would sway him in the direction of the choice that would benefit her. Arwen did not like how much magic they were using on the king; she felt like they were abusing him.

"He'll be fine, Arwen. Don't worry, my sweet." Bianca said. She always knew what Arwen was thinking. Arwen simply smiled in response.

As Bianca and Arwen lit candles around the dining room, the servants set the long table with roasted lamb, baked potatoes, warm bread right out of the oven, cheese fresh from the goats in the barn, grilled vegetables, two whole chickens, and different kinds of salads made from edible Spring flowers.

"Isn't this a lot?"

"This is nothing compared to what the king gets served daily," Bianca told Arwen, smiling approvingly to the servants. Just as the servants set the last of the pitchers of ice cold ale and wines, the White King entered the room.

Arwen instinctively began walking towards him, drawn to him like a hummingbird to sweet nectar, but Bianca gently pulled her back.

"M'lord," Bianca said as she and Arwen both curtsied. "This is our humble supper tonight, if it pleases Your Grace."

"This pleases me fine, thank you Lady Whitewing. Although, I should warn you: three days unconscious gives a man a bear of an appetite."

"Yes, we tried to see if we could wake you with food, but you were completely unconscious. It was fortunate that Arwen was able to sustain you so long by just giving you a few drops of honeyed milk every hour of every day."

"Your daughter took very good care of me. She proved to be an excellent nurse you could be proud of." Gavin said, glancing at Arwen. He gave her a secret flirtatious smirk, and Arwen could feel her heart melt, but all she did was smirk right back. The king chuckled, then took his seat at the head of the table. Bianca took the seat on his right, and Arwen sat at his left.

Without hesitation, the king began filling his plate. Arwen and Bianca filled theirs as well, but Arwen could only eat small morsels at a time. She was too distracted with the king sitting next to her to eat. Bianca did not touch her plate at all. She only sat, watching the king as he devoured one whole chicken on his own, two bowls of salad, a good chunk of the lamb, and all the cheese and bread that was on the table.