Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen- Good and Bad

"But you're sure? Absolutely positive?" Arwen wrung her hands, staring intently at her mother, pleading with her for her to be sure.

"Darling, of course I'm sure! I'm always sure, you know that," Bianca winked. "Now go and find your husband." Arwen giggled with joy and kissed her mother's cheek before fluttering out of her chambers. She pranced through the halls, servants and squires bowing their heads and greeting her as she passed, but Arwen saw none of it. Her happiness almost blinded her; all she could think of was Gavin and love.

Arwen pushed open the doors to Gavin's meeting chambers to find Gavin inches away from Finnian's face, seething and spitting as he spoke. When both men heard her entry, they turned to see her and Gavin stepped away from Finnian, turning his back on them both and going to look out of the large windows facing the garden. His shoulders were tense and his back was rigid, and instantly Arwen's happiness dulled and her curiosity flared. Finnian huffed loudly and stomped his way out of the room, roughly pushing past Arwen. She looked at his retreating form angrily, as she usually was around him. It had been a fortnight since she had been crowned queen and began living at the palace, yet she and Finnian still did not get along.

Arwen closed the chamber doors and approached Gavin. She put her arms around him from behind and squeezed as she asked, "What's wrong?"

Gavin melted in her arms, turning to face her, then gathering her up in his arms and pushing his face into her hair and neck. He took deep breaths, and Arwen could tell he was trying to calm his nerves. She rubbed her hands up and down his arms and then pushed his head back. She placed her forehead against his as her hands played in his hair. "Tell me, love."

"It's my cousin, Roux."

"The Red Autumn King?"

"Yes. Since our marriage, I've stopped some trading and bartering with his kingdom. Before I married you and gained access to the herbs and plants from the covens of witches in my realm, I used to receive those items from Roux's kingdom in exchange for payment. Now that my payment to his kingdom has ceased, he has sent an-- er-- complaint about his financial manners."

"Complaint?" Arwen asked, squinting up at her husband in confusion.

"Yes. A very angry complaint, with many choice words not appropriate for a lady to hear."

"And why was Finnian in such a sour mood?" Arwen asked, not really caring for the answer. Finnian was always in a sour mood from what she could tell.

"Because a complaint like that could have some serious consequences."

"How serious?"

"Well, if Roux feels I am somehow limiting his kingdom's success, he could potentially think of me as an enemy, and then treat me as such. He could cut off any other trade and barter I have with his kingdom, ruining our financial success, or he could--"

"Start a war?" Arwen stepped out of Gavin's arms, feeling a chill in her stomach.

"Potentially, but that's rather far-fetched. It was only one trade I've cut off, not enough to wage warfare, but enough to stoke a fire. And the gods know the Autumn folk are quite fiery and temperamental." Gavin tried reassuring Arwen, stroking her hair and face.

"Should we be very concerned?" Arwen placed her hands on Gavin's chest, pressing her forehead against his lips so he could kiss it.

"Not at the moment. Not very concerned, just weary and careful is all."

"Then why were you so angry when I walked in? I thought you were going to bite Finnian's head off!"

Gavin sighed and led Arwen to the table in the center of the room. He sat her down in chair, then kneeled before her, running his hands up and down her legs, massaging them, more to calm himself than her. "He is more weary than most. He blames our marriage for this complaint and claims there will be much more to come."

"Of course he does," Arwen scoffed, rolling her eyes and slumping in her seat. Gavin continued rubbing her legs, kissing her neck, then placing his head on her lap.

"Don't worry about it, my love. He's always fretting, you know that."

"Yes, but he's always fretting about me in particular, and I'm rather sick of it." Gavin chuckled at her words, his chest rumbling against her legs, his head slightly bouncing in her lap. Arwen smiled and began playing with his hair again, before he looked up at her, curiosity suddenly present in his eyes.

"But why did you come in here so abruptly? I thought you were busy with your mother?"

Arwen's blinding happiness returned, clouding over her thoughts of Roux, Finnian, and war. She took Gavin's face in her hands and kissed his lips, savoring his taste before pulling back and smiling at him.

"What is it, love?" Gavin chuckled again, his cheeks warm in her hands.

"I have some good news that will hopefully make you forget all this terrible nonsense about complaints and Finnian."

"Oh, and what is that?" Gavin's eyes twinkled as he looked at Arwen, falling in love with his wife over and over again.

"I was visiting with my mother because I had some questions for her."

"Questions? About?"

"I was asking her if I could borrow some herbs. I've had a stomachache since last night, and was feeling even more ill this morning. But instead of giving me herbs, she examined me a little and..."

Gavin perked up, a million questions in his eyes. "And?"

Arwen brought her face next to Gavin's and practically kissed his ear as she whispered, "My mother says we are expecting a child."

Gavin pushed Arwen back, his eyes gleaming and his breath quickening.

"Are you sure?"

"My mother is always right!" Arwen squealed as Gavin picked her up off the chair and twirled her around. His laugh boomed throughout the room, filling around them, enveloping them in their happy bubble. Gavin stopped twirling and pressed his lips heavily on Arwen's, kissing her passionately, strongly, as if a fever was eating away at him and it was his last kiss ever.

They stopped kissing and held each other, breathing heavily and smiling so widely their faces ached.

"I've never been so happy as I am at this moment. We're going to have our little prince at last!"

Arwen giggled and said, "And what makes you so sure it's a little prince?"

"Because I can feel it! If we have a prince, my line is secured, our kingdom will have its heir and it can live on for another generation." Gavin held Arwen, his happiness etched so deeply in his face it almost hurt to look at him.

"But your cousin Liadan is a female and a ruler on her own?"

"Yes, but females generally do not take thrones. She was her father's only heir. He and his wife tried for years to conceive a son, and when she became older, he took to whoring to try and conceive a bastard he could legalize to take the throne. But no matter who he was with, even if the young whore was in her prime for childbearing, no one could conceive him a son. Liadan was his only option. Even today she is ridiculed and mocked, for nobody takes a female ruler seriously." Gavin explained. Now Arwen could understand why Liadan was so cold and hard; she'd have to be, to deal with all the ridicule and be noticed as a strong ruler. "But that doesn't matter. We'll have our prince, and my cousins and Finnian will see how strong my line is and no one will question our marriage again."

"That would be a dream come true," Arwen smiled and pressed her face against his.

"You are my dream come true. Thank you, love. Thank you for this marvelous gift you have given me." Gavin pecked her lips again, then got on his knees and hugged her around the waist. Arwen laughed, feeling complete and utter joy run through her veins. Everything would be all right.