Chapter One.

Alissa Valentin sat at her desk, sketching, when there was a knock on her door. Before she could say anything, her best friend let herself in. The petite girl skipped in erratically.

"Oh my God, Alissa! Guess who asked me out!"

Alissa, looking up from her sketch, smiled. "Well, hello, Mandy. Nice to see you too. Oh yeah, my day was good."

Ignoring her friend's sarcasm, Mandy jumped on the bed and crossed her legs, red curls bouncing in the process. Alissa turned in her chair and rested her chin on the back of it.

"Who asked you out?" Alissa asked.

"Tyler!" Mandy exclaimed.

Tyler Hanson was the most popular guy at the university. He was quarterback for the football team, pitcher for the baseball team, and was a business major, unlike Alissa who stayed away from playing sports and was a psychiatric nursing major. Tyler had gorgeous blonde hair and light blue eyes. He also had a six-pack to kill for. All the girls at the university swooned over him and everyone wanted to date him. If you wanted to gain rank in the university's social class, being seen with Tyler was the way to do it. Alissa wasn't surprised that he asked freshman Mandy out. Mandy was beautiful with her curly red hair and perfect body. She was only five foot tall which only made her that much cuter. Needless to say, she had no problem finding dates.

"Congratulations, Mandy." Alissa said with a sincere smile, "I assume ya'll are going to the party together tonight?"

"Yep," Mandy said slyly," Now, all we've got to do is find you a date."

"No, thanks. I'm not going. I have a big test coming up that I need to study for." Alissa said in attempts to steer her friend away from the dating topic. Even though she was pretty, she wasn't one for dating. She just didn't like it. Meeting new guys, going to weird movies because you both don't want to see the same thing, being polite and eating that god awful fancy food even though its disgusting.

"Please. Please. Please!" Mandy pleaded.

"No, Mandy. Drop it."

Mandy sighed and pouted her luscious lips. "Will you, at least, come to the party?"

With a roll of her green eyes, Alissa nodded. "I guess. But only because you're my best friend."

Mandy bounced with glee as she quickly came off the bed and hugged Alissa. Then, she was gone as quickly as she had arrived. Alissa rolled her eyes once more and locked the door to her dorm room.

At six o'clock, Alissa heard a knock on her door once more. When she unlocked it, Mandy let herself in again. Alissa arched her eyebrows. Her best friend was beautiful. Mandy's red hair was straightened and styled like she belonged on the red carpet. She wore a skin tight and really short silver dress covered in jewels and, of course, matching clutch and heels. Tyler trailed behind her wearing a grey v-neck exposing the top of very cut pecktorial muscles and fitted blue jeans.

"Is that what you're wearing?" Mandy asked in defeat.

Alissa frowned. She had thought that she looked nice. After all, they were just going to a party. Alissa wore tight blue jeans and a black top with a silver cross on it that showed her belly. Her really long brown hair was pulled into a high ponytail. She didn't feel the need to get dolled up like Mandy.

"Yeah. This is what I'm wearing." Alissa said bluntly. She could already tell this wasn't going to be the best night.

"What if you meet someone, Alissa? Don't you want to look your best?" Mandy said in her baby voice.

"No." Alissa said grabbing her jacket off the bed and walking out of the room. Mandy and Tyler followed silently.

The party was just a few blocks away so they could walk there. Mandy talked the whole way, swooning over Tyler. who seemed indifferent about whether Mandy was there or not. Alissa trailed behind the couple with her hands in her pockets.