CHAPTER 6

I decided to spend the next day at this traditional town Summer Fest. It's so beautiful here in the summer, I think to myself. I'm used to the stinging of my cuts now and I don't flinch when I move the wrong way, or my denim shorts rub into the wound. So when I spot a roller rink I go for it, anything to stay active and burn calories. I take my time the first lap around, but as I gain confidence and speed I begin to get more elaborate.

I twirl around on the skates and keep my eyes on the scuff-marked hardwood floor. I don't pick my head up until I see another set of skates on the rink. I look up to see who got in my way. The first thing I see is lilac hair perfectly curled just to the shoulders.

"Hey!" I say tapping her bare shoulder, she turns around and stares at me with deep gray eyes. She adjusts her blue tube top before responding to me.

"May I help you?" she asks, shoving her hands in her short-shorts.

"You're in my way," I reply pointedly. The other girl's skinny frame shakes with laughter as she sticks out her hand.

"Sorry, I was just trying to find my girlfriend. By the way I'm Lamb, nice to meet youuuuuuuuu?"

"Macy, my name is Macy," I say shaking her hand, " so Lamb? Um, who's your girlfriend- maybe I could help you find her?" Lamb looked grateful. She began to describe her girlfriend; black hair, blue eyes, pale, short and we went to go find her.

"Yea, we thought It'd be a great idea not to bring cellphones, the whole 'communication will bring us closer together' bit, but she decided she was hungry and I decided to go skate and now here we are," Lamb said with a chuckle. I smiled, looking down at the splinter riddled planks on the boardwalk. From the short time Lamb and I had met we had become fast friends. Numbers were exchanged (although Lamb had to have me write mine down on a napkin), and we had been searching for half the day in between our random pit stops for food.

"Wow, how smart of you both," I replied giggling.

"So am I legit the only friend you have here?" Lamb asked. I shook my head.

"Mars Jamerson is my friend too- I mean I think we're friends anyways."

"You should watch out for him, he has some issues." Lamb warned.

"Such as?"

"I'll let him tell you. Ohmygodtheresheis! May!" Lamb screamed running across the boardwalk and takle-hugging her girlfriend. I came closer and leaned on the metal frame of a sign.

"So this is the famous May, huh?" I asked with a smile. Lamb nodded giving her girlfriend a kiss.

"I thought I was gonna have to walk home," she said putting her arm around May. Lamb's eyes widened as she pointed to the sign I was leaning on.

"Mace, Mazy we need to do this."

I stood back and got a good look at the sign. It was an advert for a Disco party on the boardwalk.

---

I was back at home in my cramped loft trying to convince Mars to come to the Disco with me.

"No,"

"But it'll be so much fun! C'mon we get to dress up and dance and have fun!"

"Who else is going?"

"My friend Lamb, and her girlfriend May,"

"You made friends with Lamb?"

"So? She's really nice,"

"I know- her sister and I dated. I had to deal with awkward family dinners for a whole six months," Mars said exasperatedly. I didn't reply for a while, I mean I guess I kind of knew that Mars had dated, I mean he was gorgeous. Why was I even thinking about it? It's not like we're dating anyways.

"Will you just-"

"Fine, I'll go. Just because you want me to though,"

"Okay I'll see you then!"

"Bye,"