Chapter 1

~Austin~

I follow the street, bodies of people pushing past me. I stumble occasionally, scratching at my wrist as I approach the coffee shop.

"Austin, you're late." My boss shouts, slamming his fists down on the countertops. I jump a little and mumble an apology.

I grab my apron from the back room, tie it around my waist and cover my hair with my beanie.
***

I get through the day, my eyes tearing up every few orders, the customers giving me pitiful looks each time.

"Austin, you're pissing off the customers. Quit being a little bitch!" Greg yells, smacking the back of my head.

I bite back a sob and nod. I don't understand why he's so mean to me. We're brothers after all, but ever since I came out during junior year he's been nothing, but cold.

"You know what, Austin, just get the fuck out." I nod silently and exit the coffee shop.

I start walking back to my apartment, tears falling fiercely down my cheeks.

I stop at the street corner and lean against the light pole. Slowly, without my permission, my mind begins to drift off to him. Not Greg, but him.

The one that made me this way. The one that broke me and made me the shell of a guy I am now.

My mind drifts to that night. The night that changed me and took every ounce of respect I had for myself, as well as the delusion of true love.

I let the tears slip down my face, my eyes clinching tightly. I hate him. I hate him.

I just wish I could forget him.
***

I stublme into my crumby apartment, the vomit worthy smell of mold and mildew entering my nostrils. I've grown accustom to it, but that doesn't make it any better. Its still hazardous.

"What the hell are you doing, Austin?" I ask myself, combing my fingers through my blackish brown hair. This isn't the way someone should live,but this is what I have to endure. At least until I decide to end it.

My flip phone rings abruptly. I dig into my pocket to retrieve it, the caller I.D. flashing with Greg's name.

I ignore the call and toss the phone onto the makeshift 'couch'. In reality its just a collection of cushions on a box spring.

I sigh and grab a jacket from the floor, then leave the apartment. Its rare that I ever leave the house, but right now I just need to escape from my reality.
***

I stroll the streets, my head swishing with all of my movements. Everything is getting shifty and I have no idea where the hell I am.

"Hey pretty boy." A guy says, stalking in front of me creepily.

He touches my waist, I attempt to shove him away, but my arms are like jello. I have no control over the limbs.

He starts touching me rougher and rougher, my weak actions futile.

"S-stop!" I stutter, fear breaking through my skin.

His blurry features smirk causing me a wave of disgust. I double over when a fist connects with my stomach, tears streaming down my face.

I look through my blurry eyes, another figure appearing and the man that punched is suddenly knocked out.

"Are you okay?" The stranger's voice sounds distortedly and then things go black.