Chapter Seven

"Piece of smeg!" Savage swore as she pulled her car in behind the war rig. As soon as she stepped out of the car she could hear the Doof Warrior's song winding down; the war parties had stopped.

"We need to get moving before they start crossing the marsh!" Furiosa pulled some wooden boards out of the rig and shoved them under the wheels. No one noticed Nux climb out of the golden car and into the hulking war rig, except for Savage.

"What are you doing?" Savage hissed as she climbed into the passengers seat beside Nux.

"I'm trying to help," he replied. "I haven't driven anything so shiny and chrome before!" Shifting the rig into gear, Nux tried to drive forwards. Shouts from outside caught Savage's attention.

"He is trying to help!" she shouted as the others ran after the rig.

"Who?" shouted Toast.

"Nu-- The war boy!" The war rig jolted to a halt as it got caught in the mud again. Cheedo and Capable ran to get the wooden boards and shoved them under the wheels again.

"There's high ground above that thing over there," Nux pointed towards a dead tree.

"He means the tree," Savage translated.

"Yeah, the tree-thing," Nux nodded. Furiosa just motioned for him to go as Savage watched Toast hand the blood bag a long sniper rifle.

"You have three rounds," she said. It was only then that Savage noticed a spotlight speeding towards them through the fog, bullets screaming loudly in the dead air.

"The Bullet Farmer," Savage muttered.

The blood bag fired, and missed.

"You've got two left," Toast called. He fired again and missed.

"Give it here," Furiosa muttered and aimed the gun on the blood bag's shoulder. "Don't breathe," she muttered and took the shot, the light suddenly going out and a loud scream echoing through the air. Savage turned to see Nux struggling to get the winch around the dead tree. An idea struck her. She ran to her car and pulled out a long chain she had inside for use in the Races.

"Nux!" Savage called as she ran to the war boy. Nux's eyes lit up at the sight of the chain, both hurrying to attach it around the tree. Once secure Nux ran back to the war rig and started it up again, the wheels spinning, and the winch pulling on the dead tree with tremendous effort.

Savage wrapped her arms around the dead tree as it started to tip towards the ground, trying to hold it up for as long as possible. Another set of arms brushed hers as the blood bag grabbed onto the tree also. Savage nodded her thanks as the war rig suddenly lurched forwards and found solid ground, Nux continuing to drive it about half a click up the solid ground.

"Get your car and get up there," the blood bag grunted as he grabbed a gun off of Toast and headed towards where the spotlight used to be. "Keep going if I don't come back!" Savage was amused by his bravery. Surely he will get himself killed. But Savage just climbed into her car and drove off after the war rig.

She pulled her car to a stop beside the war rig. Nux climbed out of the drivers seat of the rig and made his way over to Savage, who had also stepped out of her car.

"Where's the blood bag?" he asked, placing his arm gently around Savage's waist, unsure of his actions. She didn't shrug him off, just relished in his presence. She had never had anyone close growing up, so this was an all new sensation for her.

"He said he was--"

A bright orange explosion shook the dark night, interrupting Savage's sentence.

"That stupid schlanger," Savage whispered.

*  *  *

I think Nux is so adorable :3