day 1

Alyssa Mays stood near the gas stop. A woman groaned at her feet, not a human though. The disease changes them. It changes them until they were no longer ill. They were a new species, the Solanum Chlohimydiedus was the agreed upon name. They didn't know what to call them. Alyssa called them the lost, Her thoughts of the day So far on a constant loop in her head.

Alyssa's mother sat in the car, trapped by a seat belt. It was stuck and the lost surrounded it. Her mom tossed her a gun. Alyssa had wet tears streaming down her face, Her eyes burned, they were red and puffy. She was only 9.
"Go. Find somewhere safe move on. Don't worry, sweetie. Don't worry about me. I won't make it but I've given you protection. And promise me one thing." Her mother said.
"W- wh- what i- is it?" Alyssa had to stumble in between her sobs.
"Promise me that you won't look back and always take care of Jaxon." Jaxon was Alyssa's younger brother who always had a story to share.
"I promise."

Alyssa smashed The lost's head in. She felt pity for them, She hated them. Becoming one of the lost was worse than death. She looked inside the gas station convenience store, It had already been raided. She slung her pack off her shoulder and grabbed anything that she needed. Packages of hot dogs, Hot Cheetos, funyuns, and  Coca cola sat on the shelves. That was
it, She could only imagine the people before browsing the shelves, Alyssa's imagination never satisfied her though, These were only ghosts of people. She walked out of the convenience store. Every sound made her jump, This time though, was different. An engine started, Alyssa drew her gun, hands shaking. A shot was fired at her head. She shot back. She didn't know where it came from so she had to spray and pray. It wasn't until the stranger's fifth shot that she knew where to fire. Whoever it was drove away.

Luckily.