Meant To Be

A/N: I'm back and couldn't be happier! This story has +300 reads! Thank you so much for everyone that read this book and especially those that voted. I love ya'll. Anyways enjoy this emotional chapter!

Once we got back to the classroom, everything else was a blur. I remember ignoring Lucas to just clear my mind from everything going on. Maya wasn't taking things well. She broke down a couple of times in school and never talked to me. She just gave me a few glares and just looked away. I had to talk to her. I had to find out why she wasn't talking to me or going to me when she was crying so I could cheer her up. Instead she went to Farkle, who just sat with her as she cried on his shoulder. His shoulder. I wanted that to be mine. When we were the closest of friends, she always went to my shoulder when she was crying, now she just glances past me. Something was wrong. I knew from everything that was happening, nothing would be the same as it was before all of this happened. 

School finally ended and I was able to go home. Home from all of this stress and hardships put on me. On everyone. I laid all of my school stuff on the edge of my room in the corner where all the shadows seemed to lay. All of the exhaustion from school was pushed onto my bed and my eyes felt heavy. I felt tired all of sudden for no apparent reason and decided instead of being productive, I would sleep. Then I heard a knock on my bay window. This knock sounded unfamiliar and light. Like this person was someone that I knew, but not anymore. I turned my body to face towards the bay window and saw Maya. She looked like she had been crying for a while. Hair all pushed to one side, parts creating scribbles all over her head. Her eyes were red and her expression was different. Something I have never seen in a while. It was intimidating, so I walked over to the bay window and opened it. She just climbed into it and sat down on the cushions. I slowly did the same and she scooted over to the side so our distance was farther apart. We have never been more than a couple of inches or centimeters away from each other when we were sitting at the bay window, but today changed it. She was sitting on one side and I was sitting on the other like something was preventing us from being close to each other. Then she started to talk. 

" Riley, why did you lie to me," Maya whispered. She spoke softly but I could hear every single word that came out of her mouth and I wish I hadn't. It hurt to ever hear your best friend saying that you lied when you knew you didn't.

" Maya what are you talking about. You know I would never lie unless it had to be done. If it was going to help someone," I answered. I didn't know how to say it any other way. I would never have the nerve to tell her about Lucas. Well him and the fact that I was in love with him and it seemed like every single moment I kept falling deeper in. 

" Riley don't you understand. You lied to me about Lucas! You told me he was gone and then he shows up to school acting like nothing ever happened," She remarked. 

I never heard her talk like that. Never, not once. She seemed so hurt and this time I didn't know what to do. I would never lie to her if it meant that it would hurt her.

" Maya you don't get it. He told me that. Word for word, that he was going to leave. How would I know that he unexpectedly just showed up to school a couple days after! I have no control over what he does! Why don't you just ask him, instead of yelling at me," I yelled. 

This wasn't how we ever talked in the bay window. We always laughed and talked and just smiled and now we were shedding small tears and not once making eye contact. Raising voices and getting mad at each other. This wasn't right. She just looked at me and her face became more stern.

" RILEY! Don't you get it! HE BROKE UP WITH ME! After school I went to go and talk to him and ask him about this whole being gone situation and he told me he didn't want to talk about it. He told me he just wanted space and that I deserved better. HE BROKE UP WITH ME,Riley," She choked.